2nd opinion just to be sure.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phreak

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I’m going to be doing a 3.5 Gal. DME Hefeweizen kit I bought from Ontario Beer Kegs this weekend. Now, I’m pretty sure they know their stuff when it comes to instructions/brewing, but I’d like to run part of it past the forum members just to be sure before I start. I’ve excerpted just the boil parts I was wondering about. All of the reading I did about how most kit instructions normally being less than awesome, it just got me curious as to how these ones stack up. So if you guys wouldn’t mind taking a look and let me know if there is anything I should change in terms of procedure or ingredients or if it’s good as-is, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Ingredients:

2 lbs Light DME
2 lbs Wheat DME
1 oz Tettnang (30 mins)
1 pkg Saf WB-06 Wheat ale Yeast

PROCEDURE
Give the instructions a once or twice over before your brew today to be extra prepared.
On Brew Day:
1. Collect 4 gallons of water in your 5 gallon kettle and begin heating.
2. Bring water to a boil. Once to a boil, move kettle off heat, add the dry malt extract and stir in with your long handled spoon.
3. Put kettle back onto heat and return to a boil. You now have your “wort”, unfermented beer. Keep a careful eye on your kettle to avoid boiling over.
4. Start your timer for 30 minutes and proceed with your hopping additions according to the times and amounts listed under “Ingredients”. (If your kit includes any sugar additions, add them here as well.)
5. When 30 minutes has passed, you should be left with approximately 3.5 gallons of wort after evaporation in your 5 gallon kettle.
6. Start cooling the wort. Place your kettle in the sink or large tub filled with cold water & ice. Chill until wort has reached 72°F. While the wort cools, start your sanitization of the fermenting bucket.

Looks good to me. I'd usually chill it a bit lower than 72° F, but this is a Hef kit, so the slightly warmer temperature is appropriate for producing the characteristic esters and flavours of the style.

Latest posts

Back