2nd fermentation stopped early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am brewing a small batch chocolate stout and the kit I was using says it should sit in the secondary fermenter for about 2 weeks. My issue is that it seems that fermentation has stopped a week in to the two weeks. Should I just let it go for another week or go ahead and bottle it?

Thanks in advance.

The consensus on transferring to a secondary is that it’s unnecessary (some still do, me being one occasionally). But anyhow... usually fermentation is complete when beer is transferred to a secondary so my question would be, what are you using to determine that fermentation is complete? If you are using a hydrometer and your FG readings taken several days apart are the same and fairly close to the predicted FG of the kit instructions or yeast manufacturer, then yes, fermentation is complete and you can bottle at your convenience. Waiting longer never hurts either.

I am brewing a small batch chocolate stout and the kit I was using says it should sit in the secondary fermenter for about 2 weeks. My issue is that it seems that fermentation has stopped a week in to the two weeks. Should I just let it go for another week or go ahead and bottle it?

Thanks in advance.

Fermentation was probably stopped by day 3 in the primary. Ale yeasts work fast. Moving your stout to secondary was not necessary but since it is there now, let it have another week or more. It doesn't improve the flavor to rush a stout.

Back