2nd brew problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungryhippo

Reaction score
I'm a total novice when it comes to home brewing so please bare with me.

I tried home brewing for the first time last month. Everything went according to plan and the beer is bottled.
This time however, about 6 hours after I pitched the yeast, the foam from the wort blew the water out of the air lock. When I woke this morning there was foam and bits of krausen in the air lock (and a little on the wall).
Is there a bigger chance of bacteria getting in now?
I was wondering if I should take out the air lock and replace the water?

What should I do??????

Any suggestions are very welcome!!!

Thanks.

looks like you didn't allow enough krausen room in your fermenter. fermentation should slow down in a couple of days but try not to remove the airlock only when necessary exposing any outside air could increase your chances of infection but I would just keep an eye on it making sure it doesn't clog the airlock because you'll have a big mess to clean up

If it keeps fermenting that vigorously get a blow-off tube, if its slowed way down, clean your airlock, stick it back in and pop open a brew

You may want to examine your temperature control. If you're fermenting too warm, it can lead to a vigorous ferment. Though it can happen at lower temps as well.

Thanks everyone for the very quick replies!

Regarding the temperature. I have it around 24-25 degrees celcius. A bit warm perhaps? I could take it down to the cellar where it's a bit cooler but I'd rather not move it.

I've taken out the airlock and given it a quick clean. I think the fermentation has slowed a little.

I guess I'll just monitor it for the rest of the day.

Thanks.

As for the risk of contamination, I think it is minimal. You have an over-pressure in your fermenter that is pushing everything out and not letting any air in. You also have a layer of CO2 on top of the wort that is protecting it from the air.

For future batches I recommend using a blow-off tube rather than an airlock.

Back