2nd brew-first attempt with recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak47clown

Reaction score
OK so I'll be bottling my first brew probably over the weekend and can't wait to start my second. I'd like to try a recipe rather than a kit because I feel it gives me a little more freedom to pick and choose. I think i've decided on the amarillo IPA based on some of the reviews and the ease of hops that I can get my hands on:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/all-amarillo-ipa-28517/

Just want to make sure I've got the recipe straight:

-Steep the grains at 160 for 20 minutes (obvious)
-Remove grain bag and bring water to boil, remove pot from heat and add the LME
-At that point, bring to boil again and begin adding hops according to the schedule

I guess my only real question is the proper time to add the LME but I believe that's correct

I guess my only real question is the proper time to add the LME but I believe that's correct

You might want to add 1/3 of the LME at first, and the rest with 15 minutes left to boil. Better hop utilization and lighter color.

From the Wiki:
Many beers brewed with LME end up darker than anticipated. Using a Late Extract Addition can alleviate some of the problem. A Late Extract Addition adds some of the LME at the beginning of the boil, with the hops, and the bulk of the extract is added with 15 minutes left in the boil, long enough to sanitize the LME.

You mentioned LME in your post --- recipe has DME. Are you converting it to DME or going LME. Just curious

After your grains are done soaking -- pull them out and give them a good squeeze with some tongs to get all the good stuff out.

Crank the heat to get to a good boil going
- Now if your using a LME and have a helper - one person stirs while the other scrapes in the LME -- and then keep stirring for a few minutes
- Now if you are using DME - pull the boiling pot off the burner dump in the DME stir it good and quick -- then back on the heat stir a bit more

At this point start your 60min timer and dump in the first shot of hops - then just follow the hops schedule.

While the boil is going get your bucket and strainer sanitized etc.

My 2cents is to follow the recipe as is on the first shot --- that being don't do a late addition on the malt ... if you like the brew you can then tweak on the second go round. Recommend getting a $1 spiral notebook to make notes in ect.

Good luck

Recommend getting a $1 spiral notebook to make notes in ect.

Good luck

This is great advice, but better yet get the free trial of Beersmith. After you start using it for a few recipes you will gladly pay the $22 for the full version. Beersmith makes it VERY easy to make your own recipes and tweak them until you have a beer that at least falls within some guidelines, so you'll know it will or won't be a goofy brew.

...sam good point-no i do not plan on converting to LME but when I had glanced over the recipe quickly and thought it said LME. I guess because my first specialty grain recipe kit had LME in it. Though it is essentially the same process where I remove from heat before adding it. I"ve already downloaded a copy of beer smith and will defintely purchase it after my trial is up-very helpful software. Once again-all great advice. Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back