2nd brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvr2low

Reaction score
it was time to bottle my first 5 gallon batch today so i decided that there is no sense having an empty fermenter so i started my second brew after bottling. bottling went great, it was way easier than i had expected, pics to come soon!

i cooked up a red ale after. i thought all went well but my OG is 1.041 and i was expecting 1.052-1.054. i did have a little over 5 gallons in the fermenter, probably like 5.25, is this the likely cause? no worries, but what should i expect a .01 difference in OG to do to my beer?

did you mix the wort well with the water you added? it could be that your gravity reading is incorrect if the wort was not mixed well with the water.

The impact is the OG vs the FG will result in abv%. you a lower total OG typically would equal a lower abv, but your yeast attenuation will impact that as well, so if you have super attentuation, you may end up with a abv% that is close to what it should have been, but your beer may lack body..

A number of different factors come in to play when looking at the OG vs FG etc..

it was well mixed, really well mixed, i can guarantee that's not the problem. i mixed this one way better than my last batch and that one was actually .002 above the approximated OG. im guessing its because of the little extra water but im still a noob!

Back