2nd AG batch. 1st Efficiency Problem. Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-star

Reaction score
So I did my 2nd AG batch today, and my efficiency was significantly lower than my first attempt. (63% vs. 76%). :(

Both recipes were 90%+ two-row pale with some specialty grains (no adjuncts). I hit my mash temps dead-on (154F) both times. I double batch-sparged with 170F water each time, collecting the same amount of wort into the kettle (6.5 gallons) for both brews. Both boiled for 60min.

Brew #1: Target OG = 1.069, measured OG = 1.067.

Brew #2: Target OG = 1.070, measured OG = 1.061.

I kept my process and equipment identical each time. The only difference is that my first batch was my own recipe with grains crushed at the LHBS. Brew #2 was a (milled) all-grain kit from AHS.

Is it possible that the crush could be that poor on batch #2 that I would take that kind of efficiency hit? I find that hard to believe, but that is really the only variable I can think of.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any valuable insight, as always.

Could it have anything to do with different water ph? If your first kit acid malt it would lower your PH and increase your efficiency? I would get some latic acid and treat your water back down to 5.2 PH. It makes a big difference in the efficiency. I live in the Midwest with very hard water.

Good thought, but I forgot to add that I used 5.2 stabilizer for both batches, so I don't think that's it.

I've always gotten good (75-80%) efficiency with AHS crush FWIW...no other variables?

No other variables that I can think of, which is why I felt compelled to ask you guys about it.

The crush looked OK to me, though I didn't closely inspect it before brewing. I trust the guys at AHS know what they're doing, and that's why I find it so hard to believe its the crush alone causing this kind of drop in efficiency. I just can't think of another good reason...

Latest posts

Back