2bbl batch yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afalconc

Reaction score
how big of a starter i have to make for a 2bbl 1.052 OG beer, to minimize yeast cost, suggestions??? cheer to everyone

Make a 10 gallon batch of ~1.040 OG beer and pitch the yeast cake. That way you have beer and the yeast you need.

Otherwise the best alternative would be to contact a local brewery and ask for a gallon or two of fresh yeast slurry from one of their fermentors.

http://www.yeastcalc.com/

mrmalty.com really doesn't work very well for batches very much over 5 gallons.

Yeast calc looks really great. I hadn't heard of that before, but it looks handy for stepped starters.

For the OP's situation, it looks like a stepped starter of 20L > 45L would probably work. There's a limit to the number of doublings you'll get out of a given initial amount of yeast. 100b cells won't easily grow into more than 600b cells. So a 20L starter is about as large of a first step as you can use.

I could have sworn I read that he just extrapolated data from wyeast and mr malty?

yes the fundamental yeast growth equations are the same. the functionality of the calculator allows you to figure out steps, which you can do on the mrmalty.com calculator with a lot of finagling.

Back