27 quart pot on gas stove top.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior

Reaction score
Hi all,
right now I am boiling all grain batches using two pots on my stove that has a rating of 12,000 btu's, the 20quart pot with 14qts comes to a boil in 30minutes, the 12quart pot takes about 20minutes, I once tried a 40quart aluminum pot with no luck. I am thinking of getting a 27quart pot which measures 12.5 inches in diameter, my 20quart has a 12 inch diameter so I should be OK. Anyone out there have any experience using a 27 quart pot using a gas stove top?

I've done full 6 gallon boils on my gas stove in a 36 qt pot - not sure of the ratings though. I used a 1000W bucket heater/heat stick to assist in getting up to the boiling point. The biggest issue is that my cooker hood/microwave combo doesn't let me slide the pot far enough back to cover both the burners on one side, or I could get a boost from using the smaller burner at the back instead.

I have a gas range with 18,000 BTU burners. A 30QT Aluminum pot works fine with a 20 QT boil
Takes about 30 Min to get to a boil.

I bet you will be fine with your 27 quart, just might take a bit longer.

Found this calculator on the web.

http://www.phpdoc.info/brew/boilcalc.html

Ant,
Thank's for the reply,I don't think the calculator is accurate, it does not take pot size (diameter) into consideration. !8,000 btu's,compared to 12,000 btu's
is a huge difference.
Cheers

If 12k BTU is a bit weedy to get up to boiling point, then you might try adding an electric heat stick (e.g. 1000W bucket heater). Once you are at boiling, it won't take nearly as much to maintain the boil though. I had my stove's burner turned down around half power for that. With my 35k btu propane burner outside, I have it turned nearly off to maintain a boil in a 50F breeze.

My BK is a 60 quart 304 ss pot with laminate bottom, I currently brew stove top. I do have a 32k power burner, which does is for me, 15 gallons in about 30 minutes, with a mash temp starting point. From 50 degrees to boil it takes about an hour. Another thing to consider is the larger pot (like a 10 or 15 gal) will have a shallower depth for 5 gallon batches and most likely cover mult. burners on your stove. Which in my experience yields faster boil times:)

My BK is a 60 quart 304 ss pot with laminate bottom, I currently brew stove top. I do have a 32k power burner, which does is for me, 15 gallons in about 30 minutes, with a mash temp starting point. From 50 degrees to boil it takes about an hour. Another thing to consider is the larger pot (like a 10 or 15 gal) will have a shallower depth for 5 gallon batches and most likely cover mult. burners on your stove. Which in my experience yields faster boil times:)

Patt,
The 40 quart pot fits over two burners, the problem is that the one burner is rated at 12,000, but the second is rated at 9,000. Was able to bring 28 quarts to a boil with cover, once the cover was removed no boil. I was hoping someone out there had experience using a 27 quart pot with similar btu output.
Cheers

I have a 30 quart pot that I straddle over two stove top gas burners. Takes a bit of patience, but gets to good rolling boil

Latest posts

Back