25 years old kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lapja

Reaction score
I purchased recently three corny kegs labeled as A grade. While cleaning I realised that the production year was stamped in the botom : 1993 !

The black plastic actually on top and bottom constantly leaves Black stains when handled.

Is it even safe to use these kegs?

I don't know the year my kegs were made (nor care), but I get black stains on my hands every time I clean mine. I think that's just how the black plastic handles are.

As long as the insides are clean, you should be good to go. Keg on!

I purchased recently three corny kegs labeled as A grade. While cleaning I realised that the production year was stamped in the botom : 1993 !

The black plastic actually on top and bottom constantly leaves Black stains when handled.

1993?!!! Wow! Those are pretty new! Nice find!

:mug:

Yup - that's a youngster for sure :D
Some of my kegs are over 30 years old, and all of them are at least 20.
I only have two with chalky-black rubbers that tend to leave black streaks.
I'm convinced that's due to UV degradation from bars/restaurants leaving the empties in a pile outdoors...

Cheers!

For the rubber handles, I've been using ArmorAll tire cleaner. It gets rid of the black dust pretty well.

It just shocked me compared to my other kegs that were bought brand new. I tried PBW on the plastic to solve the black stains issue. It does reduce the issue but stains are still there. Probably it comes back just as bad after a week or so. Could try ArmoAll... perhaps isolating the rubber with some sort of sealant could do a better job?

I use 10 gallon ball lock kegs from the 50 or 60s... The keg is stainless... The cosmetic stuff like the rubber on some are not important for function and you can rebuild all the poppets and seals with a rebuild kit for a few bucks but im willing to bet all 20+ kegs I own are older than 1993... most are because they went to boxed syrup around that time.

.........but im willing to bet all 20+ kegs I own are older than 1993... most are because they went to boxed syrup around that time.

I remember working at Coca-Cola when I was in my early 20s. I ran the "boxed syrup" line (aka, "bag in a box" there) and the can line. One day I had to clean a few stacks of pin lock kegs. Kegs and kegs everywhere.

If I knew then, what I know now.......

Latest posts

Back