24h fermentation complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Math0

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about a year now doing all-grain, partial mash and even extract sometimes. I really like mini mash because it is less trouble for a beer that I would bring to a get-together. This is what I did here.

I brewed a mini-mash OG 1.048 monday night, pitched the yeast (did a starter) around 75F. Took about one hour to see signs of fermentation. Everything went well. Used the Nottingham yeast. Tuesday morning I go check my bucket to make sure everything is okay. Good to go, lots of bubbles and nice ones.

Tuesday night: no signs of fermentation anymore, down to 1.012! I took the reading with refractometer first, then hydrometer. Even took a second reading.

Today: I can say this was the FG of 1.012 with another hydrometer reading. I will still wait a couple more days..

Does this happen often? In all the brews I did, it is the first time this happens. Is this normal?

I've been brewing for about a year now doing all-grain, partial mash and even extract sometimes. I really like mini mash because it is less trouble for a beer that I would bring to a get-together. This is what I did here.

I brewed a mini-mash OG 1.048 monday night, pitched the yeast (did a starter) around 75F. Took about one hour to see signs of fermentation. Everything went well. Used the Nottingham yeast. Tuesday morning I go check my bucket to make sure everything is okay. Good to go, lots of bubbles and nice ones.

Tuesday night: no signs of fermentation anymore, down to 1.012! I took the reading with refractometer first, then hydrometer. Even took a second reading.

Today: I can say this was the FG of 1.012 with another hydrometer reading. I will still wait a couple more days..

Does this happen often? In all the brews I did, it is the first time this happens. Is this normal?

What were the pitch temp and the ferment temp?

That's insanely fast work by the yeast.
However, it's not abnormal.
Technically, if the gravity is stable, you are OK to bottle.
THe thing I would worry about with it being that fast is some off flavors being created.
The temps appear to have been slightly high, and yeast can give off things at those temps.
Letting it sit for a while can allow the yeast to finish their jobs and reabsorb some of those off-flavors.
The best thing you can do for your beer in the future is to get your temperatures under control. 70-ish isn't bad to pitch at, if you can then bring the temps down to around the mid 60s for the balance of fermentation.

First question
WHAT was your temperature? Do you use any kind of temperature control? A very warm environment certainly may produce a fast fermentation, but you'll likely regret the results.

What is the recommended temperature for your yeast strain? (google)
Try to keep the fermenter inside that temp range. If your ambient temperature is 72°F, then your fermenting temperature is likely 8-10° higher, unless you've employed some kind of temperature control - a water bath, a dedicated refrigerator, etc...

I've had a 10 gal batch broken into 2 five gallon carboys and used the same yeast. One had lots of bubbles and the other barely had any and I have no idea why. They both came out different but they both fermented fine. I say if it stays at 1.012 for another day or so you're good to bottle.

Usually, from my experience, most of the "bubbly" fermentation is done within 72 hours of it starting up.

Taking a refractometer reading after fermentation has started I've heard can throw off the reading due to the addition of alcohol in the, now, beer. I'd just take a hydrometer sample and use that for your fg readings. I brew 3 gallon biab batches so I usually don't take more than 1 OG reading and 1 FG reading at bottling time so I don't waste beer. I usually let my beer sit for about 3 or so weeks before bottling so I'm fairly sure it's finished fermenting anyway. Good luck!

75 is really warm for Nottingham, so it's unsurprising that it finished very quickly. That strain can finish out in a few days at around 60. You should leave it tor a week anyway to allow the yeast to clean up what it can, but it's pretty likely that you will have some off flavours and fusels that aren't gonna condition out.

I pitched at 75F because I was going to bed a bit after. Fermentation started about an hour after pitching. Fermentation temperature was at 66F (in a wine cellar so very stable) which is perfect for the first couple of days. Usually I move the bucket to room temperature around 72F after 2 days to finish fermentation.

Did this happen to someone before? It is quite impressive! For sure I'm going to leave it for at least 2 more weeks. Already transferred to secondary.

Based on your yeast pitching temp, I am not really surpprised the bulk of the fermentation was done that quickly. I agree, I would leave it at room temperature for at least 2 weeks to give the remaining yeast time to clean up anything that may be leftover.

75 is really warm for Nottingham, so it's unsurprising that it finished very quickly. That strain can finish out in a few days at around 60. You should leave it tor a week anyway to allow the yeast to clean up what it can, but it's pretty likely that you will have some off flavours and fusels that aren't gonna condition out.

+1. Notty should be kept at 60 (internal temp). If air ambient was 66 or 67 you can expect ferment temp inside bucket to be in the low to mid 70's which I hear is all it takes for Nottingham to produce off flavors.

Alright thanks guys! Really appreciated. I will find a way to get the next batches lower

that can be as simple as a tub of water - and an occasional frozen water bottle to keep temps down. The water will absorb the heat of fermentation and keep your temps more in line.

:mug:

Back