22 days in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitehead

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've just been pleasantly surprised after cracking another of my first homebrews after 22 days in the bottle, a Porter recipe that I was able to choose with the homebrew kit that I purchased from my LHBS. I have to admit that I sampled my first batch throughout its bottle conditioning stage. After a week it was very cidery and even after two weeks it seemed it hadn't changed at all, and then......after 3 weeks and one day, I have a very drinkable beer. It starts out a little bitter and then finishes with a slightly roasted malty flavor that lingers on until your next drink. My name is JJ, by the way, I call myself Whitehead because of my 15 month old son, who I call, Gunnar Whitehead because his hair is so blonde. I will be turning 39 years old this November and have been enjoying beer since before I was of legal age and just got into homebrewing. This Porter I am drinking is better than most commercial brews that I have tried on my quest for a good commercial oatmeal stout (without any luck I might add) So I now have an oatmeal stout happily bubbling away. A recipe I put together with Beersmith 2.0, a must have for any homebrewer. IMO
Here is the recipe.
6 lbs Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM) Extract 6 59.2 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 14.8 %
1 lbs 2.0 oz Quaker Classic Oats - (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.2 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.9 %
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.9 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.9 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 37.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast 9 -
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
I hope to get a nice silky, dark roasted beer, session beer, out of this. If not, I'll tweak until I do. I already suspect that I will need to use a little more roasted barley to achieve the flavor I am looking for. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say that I have already learned a lot from just visiting this site. There are many good people here. :mug:

Back