21st Birthday Brew?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmiles86

Reaction score
The other day as I was sitting in the garage, enjoying one of my blonde ales, I had a grand epiphany. My brothers 21st birthday is about 6 months away and I thought, "hey, wouldn't be awesome to brew a special batch just for his shenanigans". So my question to all of you, what would be a great brew to make. Now keep in mind, I'm not set up for all grain yet. I'm thinking a porter or a stout??? I appreciate all the help and advice :) cheers

Brew him what he likes to drink! Of course, that may be hard to determine, since he's not even 21 yet, so he probably hasn't even tasted beer, but...

Seriously, it's going to be hard for us to know what you should brew. A porter or stout would be nice, sure.

I guess since we are all of age, I guess why I'm asking is what would we have all like to have had as a birthday brew present.

Personally I wish someone had made me drink a couple of IPAs or saisons or some other dry, flavorful beer early in my beer drinking career. I spent way too long thinking that "beer" meant BMC (or Keystone or Mickey's if you were broke) and that it was just a vehicle for getting hammered and should have as little flavor and as much alcohol as possible. I dunno, maybe the palate just changes as you push out of your twenties, but my first intentional IPA (Stone IPA) was a wakeup call. My only previous experience with them had been grabbing a bottle out of the cooler at a party and expecting light lager and being horrified by what I tasted. I wish someone had just told me what to expect and to try and appreciate the flavor; I could have saved a lot time spent not appreciating good beer.

Maybe you should make something for him that YOU like (or a couple different things) and before he tries them explain what it is and why you like it. Tell him (without sounding condescending or wine-snobby) what flavors you get from it and see if he appreciates it the way you do.

I would just say, probably not wise to start him off with a Flanders Red or something like that :D

Beliner Weisse.

Just kidding.

Maybe brew something you *think* he would like and buy him a 6-pack of mixed beers from different styles. Then he can try a bunch of different things and ask you to make some more of that. (And get used to him asking...)

Thanks chocotaco, I totally agree with you. Definitely hit it right on the nose. Homer, good point as well :) I'll just make a brew and if he doesn't like it, you know what that means. More for me!!!! Cheers!!!

Mongrel said:
Whatever you end up brewing for him, I hope you plan on getting him out of the house for his 21st.

Two birds one stone! get him out to some brewpubs, figure out, through much trial and error, what he likes, then brew that up a a belated present. If he asks why one beer is missing, tell him "5 packs" are a homebrewing standard.

Oh no definitely! He is for sure getting out of the house, just figured to pregame with an awesome home brew from his big bro! I freaking like that, 5 packs are now standard lmao :)

Back