2016 Hop Growing Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to let you know, it isn't a great idea to use that black stuff over hops. Nutrients & water are taken up by a shallow root system that grows out from the crown. That root system dies back yearly and regrows the next.

Oh I know. Just using it for the first year, and I have a drip line underneath it. I'm planning on replacing it with a ground cover of clover next year for a little added nitrogen and bees for our flowers.

Most of them have reached 15' and higher. Lots of sidearm and burr growth too!

image.jpg

I saw my first spidermite yesterday. &^%* &^%$@*(**#$^&((&^$#@!$!@$@#!#$#%^%*((*&^ Disappearaed before I could get a photo

Once the burrs start to form, is there anything to do to better enhance them? Should I continue fertalizing? Do anything different watering/etc?

Once the burrs start to form, is there anything to do to better enhance them? Should I continue fertalizing? Do anything different watering/etc?

Watering needs to be adequate to not stress the plant. They use a bit more water forming cones. Probably keep it moist. Don't let it be too dry.

As far as fertilizer, more phosphorus with little to no nitrogen as burrs begin to grow. Cutting nitrogen is to avoid grassy tasting hops. Then it depends on your soil for other nutrients.

Watering needs to be adequate to not stress the plant. They use a bit more water forming cones. Probably keep it moist. Don't let it be too dry.

As far as fertilizer, more phosphorus with little to no nitrogen as burrs begin to grow. Cutting nitrogen is to avoid grassy tasting hops. Then it depends on your soil for other nutrients.

Adding Potassium and Phosphorus will aid flower production. Nitrogen promotes growth, but inhibits the flowering process by making the plant think that it is "grow time." At this point, most of your nitrogen has been absorbed by the plant, and it's energy is now focused on flowering. Last year, I had multiple "Angel wing" hops I think from a late Nitrogen application. They look cool, you can use to brew, but I think it's triggered by the late N addition and making the cone develop abnormally. This year I see very few abnormally developing cones and very few hermaphrodite flowers from Zeus. Zeus is been NOTORIOUS for wasting all kinds of energy on guy parts. This year, I've only picked off 1 or 2 male flowers from it. Indicative of a healthy, unstressed plant.

There are some commercial fertilizers you can use that are no nitrogen, but you have to look around. Online ordering is probably best. I used coffee grounds and wood ash as a supplement this year, and I can definitely see the cone development going crazy. BaylessBrewer also recommended a molasses as a slurry somewhere on the forum. These are low/no N ferts that can be used in a pinch.

I thoroughly soak my plants after a few days of no rain, but otherwise let nature do her thing. Lately we've been on a 2-3 day rain cycle here in my location in IL. Sidearm and cone production look great on my plants.
View attachment 1469457064355.jpg

my hops haven't been getting any watering other than what nature provides, which has been a problem where they are lately. Does anyone know offhand how deep the taproots go on these? Mine is about 20 ft or less away from the lake's edge, and maybe 1 foot above the waterline. I'm hoping it's getting enough moisture from that.

I'm just trying to keep my hops alive until our record heat breaks. We've had over 23 days of 100F+ temps this month and less than 1/2 inch of rain this year, so my hops are ragged at best, even with almost daily supplemental watering. Usually they produce early, die back and then come roaring back for a late producing season starting in late August.
On a different subject, have any of you growers used spent Starsan as a phosphorous rich fertilizer?

I'm just trying to keep my hops alive until our record heat breaks. We've had over 23 days of 100F+ temps this month and less than 1/2 inch of rain this year, so my hops are ragged at best, even with almost daily supplemental watering. Usually they produce early, die back and then come roaring back for a late producing season starting in late August.
On a different subject, have any of you growers used spent Starsan as a phosphorous rich fertilizer?

Interesting subject! I'd love to hear some firsthand experience stories and even see some scientific data on this!

Interesting subject! I'd love to hear some firsthand experience stories and even see some scientific data on this!

I wonder if it would be an interesting way to acidify soil that is too basic while adding P to it. I haven't used it, but I have a ton of the stuff in buckets.

I wonder if it would be an interesting way to acidify soil that is too basic while adding P to it. I haven't used it, but I have a ton of the stuff in buckets.

It might work for a temporary quick fix but I don't believe it would last long due to water solubility of phosphoric acid. I'm still interested though

My Casacade plant (2nd year)

Very healthy and has gone completely Bananas off of the trained strings that I had it planned for. It has gone so far as to climb away from the cage and up the side of the house as well. The cones look fantastic, and I have been very reluctant to cut back any of this great growth!

View attachment 1469467093822.jpg

View attachment 1469467102881.jpg

my hops haven't been getting any watering other than what nature provides, which has been a problem where they are lately. Does anyone know offhand how deep the taproots go on these? Mine is about 20 ft or less away from the lake's edge, and maybe 1 foot above the waterline. I'm hoping it's getting enough moisture from that.

Moisture & nutrients are basically taken up by a shallow root system. It forms in the top 6 inches of soil.

How do the hops look? How moist does the soil feel?

William,

Looking good

how are your cones setting? I was wondering becauce we are in the same area. My cones are beginning to dry lots of lupin when you break one open. I think it will be harvest time soon.

do yu know what date you cUt the bull shoots off? I was April 15, cut them down to the ground.

Pictures of 5 plants second year. My plan is to make a field to glass beer. I have harvested about 50 pounds of barley 2 weeks back.

IMG_20160715_071424_378.jpg

IMG_20160715_071521_367.jpg

IMG_20160715_071414_445.jpg

IMG_20160715_071503_171.jpg

Moisture & nutrients are basically taken up by a shallow root system. It forms in the top 6 inches of soil.

How do the hops look? How moist does the soil feel?

last I saw the leaves were green and healthy looking, not dry, limp or brittle.

the soil is probably pretty moist, it's verging on marsh where they were planted. but I'd have to go up there and look for myself, won't be back to see my hops until next weekend

My Cascade has hit the top of the trellis for the lead shoot and I fed it onto another line going down.I have 5-6 other shoots chasing it and it is getting seriously leafy and I have lots of hop cones sprouting.Got a lot of sunshine these last 5 days and lots of water as well.Just had a good thunderstorm finish as I am writing this post.My harvest will most likely be in September which is no surprise for Canada.

Looking forward to making a wet hop IPA.

RMCB

So the wife setup vacation to be 8.15 until 8.27, now I need to try and find someone to harvest cones for me I'm betting since that's most likely going to be harvest time.

What happens to hops on the vine if their not harvested (or not harvested in time)?

So the wife setup vacation to be 8.15 until 8.27, now I need to try and find someone to harvest cones for me I'm betting since that's most likely going to be harvest time.

What happens to hops on the vine if their not harvested (or not harvested in time)?

They turn brown, dry up and fall off.

William,

Looking good

how are your cones setting? I was wondering becauce we are in the same area. My cones are beginning to dry lots of lupin when you break one open. I think it will be harvest time soon.

do yu know what date you cUt the bull shoots off? I was April 15, cut them down to the ground.

Pictures of 5 plants second year. My plan is to make a field to glass beer. I have harvested about 50 pounds of barley 2 weeks back.

I will pull some test cones this week and let you know! Got some that look amazing, but most look to be still growing.

The gods of the brewing forums go very quiet......

And each one of us sheds a single tear.....

;-)

Look at the sweet golden nectar. Beautiful.

The smell is off the charts! Like no other hop I've smelled before. Very floral, nice citrus note and a little dank smelling. This is my first year growing so I really don't know what to look for but if they all end up like this first small harvest I'll be very happy.
Can't wait for my Centennial to ripen so I can compare the two!

So right now I have all first year plants. Three cascades and one nuggets. Two of my cascades have good burrs and nothing on my nugget. The one cascade with no burns got topped and is stunted. Do I add high phosphorus and potassium now to encourage cones this late in the year? Or do I add more nitrogen to help build roots since they are only first year?
2cmmzwl.jpg

Haven't been around for a few years. Just wanted to share a pic of the hops I planted at my folks farm in 2006. This pic was taken in 2014. Willamette in the back and on the left (shade side), Cascade, and then Columbus on the other side.

I started growing some hops this spring (first year), Chinook and Centennials (three of each). Its been great to watch them grow, although two of the Chinooks were killed early on by some critters. I'm not counting on getting any hops this year but I noticed this (picture below) what appears to be some tiny burs starting to form on my Chinook! Would you all agree?

Chinook_Flowering??.jpg

I started growing some hops this spring (first year), Chinook and Centennials (three of each). Its been great to watch them grow, although two of the Chinooks were killed early on by some critters. I'm not counting on getting any hops this year but I noticed this (picture below) what appears to be some tiny burs starting to form on my Chinook! Would you all agree?

View attachment 364081

Definitely burrs. Nice!

I forget, how do you know when they are ripe for the picking? When the spring back when you squeeze them? I am camping now, but checked them earlier today.

This is a pic of my Cascade which is 2nd year of growing.The trellis elevates via a pulley and it is 15 feet high.Lots of burrs starting to bush out.The other plant is a Centennial which died off suddenly and then started a new bine.

I plan on harvesting when the cones are wet to make a wet hopped IPA.

RMCB

IMG_20160729_172322.jpg

Should I dry hop with fresh picked hops?

Picked 17 ozs wet (4 ozs dry) on 7/3. Air dried on a screen for a day and put in freezer. Brewed 2 weeks ago with them.

Today I picked another 17 ozs wet, and have them on a screen in my garage.

Plan to rack the beer I brewed with the 'harvest' hops tomorrow to secondary (to collect the yeast). I was planning to dry hop with a couple of ozs of pellets. Now I have more fresh hops, should I use them?

These are second year hops. I've been wary about using them as dry hops due to possibility of bugs ....... but I guess the same applies to commercial hops - who knows what is on them. A day drying should be enough for any bugs to jump ship - all look fine, and I have no reason to think there is anything wrong with the hops.

Another plus for these is that they are being air dried at 80 F, rather than the 140 F the commercial farmers use. maybe I will get some new flavors as they retain the more volatile oils.

Picked 17 ozs wet (4 ozs dry) on 7/3. Air dried on a screen for a day and put in freezer. Brewed 2 weeks ago with them.

Plan to rack the beer I brewed with the 'harvest' hops tomorrow to secondary (to collect the yeast). I was planning to dry hop with a couple of ozs of pellets. Now I have more fresh hops, should I use them?

These are second year hops. I've been wary about using them as dry hops due to possibility of bugs ....... but I guess the same applies to commercial hops - who knows what is on them. A day drying should be enough for any bugs to jump ship - all look fine, and I have no reason to think there is anything wrong with the hops.

Another plus for these is that they are being air dried at 80 F, rather than the 140 F the commercial farmers use. maybe I will get some new flavors as they retain the more volatile oils.

Go for if. Why not?

I dry hop with mine frequently, and haven't had an issue with bacteria or spoilage. I dry hop in a keg, so I'll use a bag to keep everything out of the pour. I'll also air dry without heat, and I get good results! Best of luck!

After massive hail storm killed off 3 of my 5 first years I just picked up 2 cascades and 1 nugget to get some late season growth. Hope they take and are ready to grow like crazy next year.

Has anyone in the mid-west started to harvest?? I live in Michigan and my Centennial plant seems ready to harvest. The cones are nice, big and papery. Going to start trimming tonight.

Has anyone in the mid-west started to harvest?? I live in Michigan and my Centennial plant seems ready to harvest. The cones are nice, big and papery. Going to start trimming tonight.

I'm in Missouri and harvested a little bit (3.5oz) of the cones on one of my Cascade plants last week. They were a early flush of burrs that came in early June. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1470064214.971275.jpg
The other cones are still developing nicely as well as a bunch of burrs on both Cascade and my Centennial plants. Nothing is quite ready yet though. Still very moist feeling and green.

Back