2015 Michigan Beer Cup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RQDanno

Reaction score
Hi all,

is anyone planning to submit to the Michigan Beer Cup this year? I entered my first competition with the NHC this year and getting 3rd for the regional phase has given me the bug. Going to submit a few to this competition I think in the quest for more feedback and decorations for the keezer.

Has anyone ever volunteered as a Steward for these events in the past? Not quite sure what that entails but since the thing is going to be so close to my house I figure it may be fun to try out.

I am considering entering, which will be a first for me and is mostly about the feedback. Never been a brew to style guidelines guy so it's been interesting watching numbers and being upset about missing them, ha.

Never have volunteered to be a steward though. Sounds like you could learn alot about judges, maybe meet some brewers in the process though.

It looks like they are using the 2008 bjcp guidelines while taking the 2015 guidelines for the black ipa to include that as an extra category. I also noticed they have a entry limit, they are at ~45% of that right now so Ill be keeping an eye on that.

I've thought about it, but I'm not sure what I have is good enough to submit. I can always rely on my homebrew club to give me feedback, so I don't bother sending questionable beers to competitions.

It's been a while since I've submitted to any comp, so it's probably time again, just for kicks.

If you're looking for feedback be sure to select the long form on your entry. It defaults to the short form (like the NHC uses) but it lets you pick either form.

As for stewarding you'll def learn a lot. Talk with the judges beforehand and let them know you're interested in learning and they should point you in the directions of any off flavors etc they may come across.

I'll be judging all the sessions. Don't have a lot of entries ready but I'll prob have about 3 I think.

Oh yeah, anyone interested in judging or BJCP certification should totally steward or assist if they can make it. It's interesting and gives a really nice look at the process.

I think you should consider stewarding even if you're not interested in becoming a BJCP judge. You really will learn a lot about beer. Learning to be able to distinguish the flavors you like and don't like in a beer will only help you become a better brewer as well as help you determine what kinds of flavors you want in your future beers etc..

If you're in the area I highly recommend taking Fred Bonjour's Beer Studies class. It is geared towards taking the BJCP exam, but you'll still get a lot out of it even if you have no intention of taking the BJCP exam. You basically go to class, drinking classic examples of beers from the style guidelines, evaluate the beers, and then discuss the beers. If you want to be a BJCP judge and you take his class I have a hard time believing you could fail the tasting exam.

So the deadline has passed, any other entrants? I put two in, then for extra pizazz I put gold coins in my bottles... see if I can't bribe my way to a win!

Wish I would have. I've entered before and didn't place but my scores were pretty good and so was the feedback. I missed this year, by not really knowing the dates.

I put six in this year but placing is a whole other beast. Feedback was pretty good from the forms I received last year that were legible.

Well good luck to everyone!

This is my first competition, planning for the deadline added some stress because of timing issues that kind of detracted from the overall enjoyment of brewing, but it was enjoyable to brew more to style as well.

Any ideas/estimation of when scores come back? Does anyone who entered in previous years know if they post to the website?

Any ideas/estimation of when scores come back? Does anyone who entered in previous years know if they post to the website?

Last year score sheets were available at the Michigan Homebrew Festival and then sent out as pdfs through e mail. Pretty sure the pdfs were sent out a week later, so towards the end of August.

It would be a little drive but you could always buy a day tripper package for Saturday ThanksYeasties.

Have some family in the area for the weekend so I don't think I'd be able to sadly.

And thanks for the info, not really that antsy about it, just first competition and wanted to avoid checking the website daily.

Have some family in the area for the weekend so I don't think I'd be able to sadly.

And thanks for the info, not really that antsy about it, just first competition and wanted to avoid checking the website daily.

Good Luck! We all get antsy about our first competitions, perfectly normal for all the time we put into our beer.

Yeah it should be after the weekend of the MI Homebrew Festival. Probably that Monday or Tuesday would be my guess. It's a little longer wait than most competitions because of it's tie in with the festival and not wanting to spill the beans before the big event ;D

No winners, Good feedback on the two I entered, first time brew/recipes on both so I wasn't expecting them to do amazing but glad I gave it a shot.

Latest posts

Back