2011 Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gestyr

Just an earthbound misfit
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone harvesting yet? I just vacuum sealed 2 oz. There are still a lot more burrs growing though the weather here has been hot and dry. I am looking forward to my next harvest. :):rockin:

I have harvested my centennials from my second year bines about three weeks ago.

My vacuum bags arrived today and I'm going to walk the backyard field and pick who's first. With the rain and heat we've got, I've got a lot of late blooming arms. I'm going to try and pick off the bine and see if I can get a late second harvest. With some varieties, it might happen.

I harvested 5.8 oz from my 2 1st year centennials. That is only a 1/8 of the burrs I had from these 2 plants. I still have alot of cone on the bines.

Over the weekend, I harvested my Cascade, Centennial and Chinook plants. Dried them out and wound up with 2 lbs 10oz. There are still a bunch of burrs but doubt I'll get to them when they're ready.

Dried them on screens with a fan blowing underneath.
photo1-2.jpg

Packed in 1 gallon freezer bags until I brew with them in a few weeks. I have a vacuum sealer and bags but they would require a lot of bags.
photo3-1.jpg

0811011015.jpg
5.6oz drying from 1 string

0812011648.jpg
well read the weight. vacuum sealed wet hops from 3 strings.
I still have 41 strings on the front line and a ton from all the 1st year plants in the rear of my beer garden.

Harvested a whopping .5 OZ (dry) off my fist year Magnum. Already used them in a pale ale. Cascades are just growing, no burrs and Willamet's are growing nicely with a few cones but not enough to brew anything with. Maybe next year.

EricT. You'll look back in a couple years and tell all the newbs, "My first year I got point five- you're fine."

Good for you. I'm going to start my harvest this weekend.

LOL thats true. Was a lot better season than last as those hops all died.

and now you see the silver ligning. every year they will get better. my harvest will be insane this year compared to 2 years ago(last year does not count family matters faaaaar outweighed hops harvest)

picked 4 pounds on Saturday and put them into a fresh hop IPA. That's 1/4 of the harvest at most. Lots of brewing to do.

Got 1 lb 12 oz of hops from 3 of my 1st year cascades. It should dry to 5.6 oz dry. I'll take that from my 1st years. Still have alot of burrs on them so i hope they grow up for another harvest.

My cascades are about ready. I'll start on them sometime this week. The nugget is really lagging behind. I remember them doing the same last year, but I swear I have less cones the 2nd year than the 1st years harvest. Or maybe I had som many cascades that I think I had more nugget.

Had 1 pound 6 oz from my first string of Cascades in two 5 gallon buckets. Have four more strings to go.

Back