2010 Hops Gardens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second that. Outstanding!

Thanks! :mug:

I've really enjoyed growing these babies, but they sure are a ***** to clean up after when they die out in the winter. An arbor like this is probably not the best way to grow them, but SWMBO insisted on something that "looks nice".

IMG_02662.jpg

second year Saaz. No cones yet :(

That's a nice way to grow them; looks cool

Here are a few shots of my "wild" hops. There is a cable strung between trees with about 50 twines staked to the ground. All the twines are now full to the cable. Just waiting for them to fill in a bit and I will have my hop canopy (is there a better place to sit in the shade and enjoy a homebrew?).

That big rock in the second photo is a wonderful seat. I call it my "Hopservation" platform.

Check out the size of the bine in the last photo. Most of the others pale in comparison.

2010-07-07_09_01_24.jpg

2010-07-07_09_00_59.jpg

2010-07-07_09_00_34.jpg

3 of my 4 saaz rhizomes failed but luckily brewbrothers found a way to get me 4 new plants that had already sprouted:
DSCN3186.jpg

Now they are planted:
DSCN3196.jpg

The cascade stretches all the way across the backyard now:
DSCN3190.jpg

The cascade is waiting to explode with cones:
DSCN3191.jpg

First year Nugget plant to be transplanted by a new pergola next year:
DSCN3189.jpg

Mt. Hood second year plant is pretty huge compared to the little first year EKG in the container:
DSCN3193.jpg

Batch of Mt. Hood cones were ready to be picked:
DSCN3194.jpg

2oz wet Mt. Hood:
DSCN3199.jpg

Dried and ready to go in the freezer:
DSCN3200.jpg

:mug:

I decided to give it a shot on my pergola in the back yard by the pool.
I got a Mt Hood and Cascade and they look pretty good. The Cascade is goin nuts and has all sorts of cones already, but the Mt Hood only has a few. Here are a few pics...

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg
Mt Hood
IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg
Cascade
IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

Here's my first year garden progress:

BEFORE:
DSC_6506.jpg

Beginning:
DSC_6570.jpg

About a week ago:
DSC_6857.jpg

NOW:
DSC_6919.jpg

Cascade up to the two-story eve:
DSC_6921.jpg

DSC_6920.jpg

I just got around to building the trellis a couple weeks ago. 35' across and 13' high. I tied string to conduit at the top so I could simply lower the conduit when I want to harvest.

IMG_07712.JPG

At first I was like "wohoo, it's huge, SO many cones!" But then I was like "oh crap, they're full of LEAVES?" And then I was like "AND THERE"S BUGS?"

I blame the leafy cones on the Miracle-Gro, and the bugs I blame on the bugs. Stupid bugs...

hopleaf.jpg

hopbug.jpg

At first I was like "wohoo, it's huge, SO many cones!" But then I was like "oh crap, they're full of LEAVES?" And then I was like "AND THERE"S BUGS?"

I blame the leafy cones on the Miracle-Gro, and the bugs I blame on the bugs. Stupid bugs...

Anybody know what happened to my cones other than just fertilizer? is this normal?

Cascades (year 2) are doing real well. I already got an ounce in early June. These bines are loaded big time now.

masonboroJul2010_008.JPG

Centennial are year 1, but doing well. I may get a few ounces.

masonboroJul2010_009.JPG

I planted a single Cascade, Fuggles and Willamette this year just to see how they would take in KC. I'm excited to say that they are all still alive! The Cascade is now about nine feet tall, the Fuggles has grown to about five feet and the Willamette, which I thought was a goner, is hanging in there at about two feet.

Everything I've read says not to expect anything useable from first year plants, which is fine.. <sigh> So, I'm eagerly anticipating whatever I can harvest next year and looking forward to planting more!

Crazytwoknobs, I am a strictly an organic guy, so i am bias, but I would stay away from the miracle grow. It is basically an IV for your plants. As soon as the nutrients are used up it will continually need more. Just use compost or organic matter to keep your plants fed on a continuous basis. MG is nasty stuff. If you are patient and continuously build your soil you will see the difference in the long run.

Crazytwoknobs, I am a strictly an organic guy, so i am bias, but I would stay away from the miracle grow. It is basically an IV for your plants. As soon as the nutrients are used up it will continually need more. Just use compost or organic matter to keep your plants fed on a continuous basis. MG is nasty stuff. If you are patient and continuously build your soil you will see the difference in the long run.

I only used it twice, and I'm done. If you look at the pictures, it's right next to the compost pile, so I imagine it gets compost tea when it rains. It looks like some of the early leafy cones have sprouted vines that have sprouted new cones. Bumper crop this year, third or fourth year I think.

0722100650a.jpg

One of my first year bines. It reaches the roof then sprawls out a couple feet. Its like jack and the bean stalk almost. Lots of cones at the top already.

Wow some of you guys hops are outstanding! Mine are first year and IMO have grown quite nicely but I do see that hops do not like to grow horizontally. When they get to the top of my Arbor (about 9.5') they just poop out. I was hoping they would spread over the top to provide some shade.

I have a lot of cones on my Cascades but not nearly as many as some on here.

Dumb question: How do you know when they should be picked and dried? Some of mine are pretty large and the cones have kind of opened up.

Thanks
Alan

the bugs really did a number on my hops this year.
i'll be lucky to get a harvest.

This has been a very uplifting thread. (read with a jealous tone of sarcasm) We haven't seen a day below 95 in two months. The rain stopped and it's just plain brutal. 3/6 survived and I hope they come around in the fall. after 5 months they are only two feet tall. it;s their first year so maybe they will be resilient to the deep south.

Wow some of you guys hops are outstanding! Mine are first year and IMO have grown quite nicely but I do see that hops do not like to grow horizontally. When they get to the top of my Arbor (about 9.5') they just poop out. I was hoping they would spread over the top to provide some shade.

I have a lot of cones on my Cascades but not nearly as many as some on here.

Dumb question: How do you know when they should be picked and dried? Some of mine are pretty large and the cones have kind of opened up.

Thanks
Alan

Here is a great thread about When to pick.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/when-pick-185228/

The plants you saw in my last port are second year plants. I've read that the third year they really mature and produce a lot more than first and second year. Can't wait until next year.

Back