20 minute boil kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dconway10

Reaction score
Hello I'm a newbie to brewing beer but I have made a couple batches of wine. I've been doing research and I will be using my wine making kit but also bought a brew pot. On to my question, I bought a 20 minute boil kit American light ale from Midwest supplies and I haven't seen any talk about these kits. Is this a good kit to start out with? Does anyone have any tips with using these kits?

These kits are already hopped and almost fool proof. Boil them in some water to sterilize them, cool it, and pitch yeast, and you're done. Typically, we boil wort for an hour or more because of the flavors extracted from hops. The longer hops boil, the more bitterness they impart (and less flavor or aroma).

Anyway, the boil-only kits are a good way to dip your toe in and get a feel for the brewing process. You can add things like hop schedules and steeping grains later.

yes,they should be fine & fresh from a large scale supplier like midwest. I get most of my stuff from them,& it's always good. These 20 minute kits should be fine. Use the DME in the partial boil for the aroma hop addition of the cascade. Then add the pre-hopped LME can at flame out,stir to completely dissolve cover & steep for a few minutes to pasteurize. This will give lighter color & cleaner flavor. Chill to pitch temp & proceed. The 20 minutes comes from the boil time needed. I think those 20 minute kits are a good value for the money & styles available. They all use the LME can with varying amounts of DME & some hops & yeast. Great for learning some basics. Yours is supposed to be similar to buddy wiser.

Alright thanks. I'm only 24 so I figured I'd start with something light for my buddies to try that don't like the heavier beers that I drink. Also I don't have a bottling bucket. Is that really needed? I've seen on here people saying they are nice because they leave sediment behind but shouldn't all the sediment be left in your secondary after you rack it to a bucket for bottling or am I missing something here?

The yeast & trub are left behind in primary,or secondary as well if you don't wait for it to clear in primary. I use primary only,let it settle out clear or slightly misty,the rack to bottling bucket & prime. Bottling buckets just make the job easier to keep the beer clean after priming. Get one,you won't be sorry. Just makes the whole thing easier.

Back