2 stage fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akpolaris

Reaction score
I have a question on the 2 stage fermentation process as suggested by the staff at the brewing store. My work schedule keeps me away from home for 2 or 3 weeks. What I have done previously is build a brew and put it to ferment and depart for the 2 or 3 weeks. It was suggested that I let it ferment for a week prior to leaving then move it to a 2nd carboy to ferment for the time that I am out of town. Does this sound alright? Any special considerations?
Thanks

I was led to understand leaving it to ferment for what I expect to be 4 or 5 weeks is exceptionally long and may result in some off tasting flavors.

That's misinformed LBHS staff spreading old misinformation. You're fine leaving it in the primary. There used to be concern of autolysis creating nasty off flavors when yeast packets of unknown age and origin were stuck to the bottom of 3# cans of malt extract. We don't live in that world anymore. We are now using yeast as viable as the pros. Leave it for 2 months. Leave it for 3 months. It will be fine. You have a greater risk of introducing infection by racking to a new fermenter.

That's old school "CV". Leaving a beer on the yeast for 3 weeks isn't going to incur any autolysis effects, while unnecessary racking carries risk of O2 exposure at the least and potential infection at worst...

Cheers! [slowed by my imperial stout nightcap ;)]

So 3 to 4 weeks in the carboy / fermentation is a plan. I am gone for sure 3 weeks at work and I like to get going a few days prior to leaving and it takes a day ot two upon return to attend to the beer bottling task

So 3 to 4 weeks in the carboy / fermentation is a plan. I am gone for sure 3 weeks at work and I like to get going a few days prior to leaving and it takes a day ot two upon return to attend to the beer bottling task

It's good to have a plan but a backup plan is good too. If your plan gets disrupted and you can't bottle in 3 or 4 weeks you beer will still be fine in 6 or 8 weeks if that is how your works schedule comes out.

So I started to ferment a carboy last night. I inadvertently did not fill the carboy as full as I could have. The yeast is working slowly, probably due to low ambient temp in the house. Can I remove the lock/cap and pour some warm water into the jug. Both to raise the level/content and raise the temp a bit?

So I started to ferment a carboy last night. I inadvertently did not fill the carboy as full as I could have. The yeast is working slowly, probably due to low ambient temp in the house. Can I remove the lock/cap and pour some warm water into the jug. Both to raise the level/content and raise the temp a bit?

I like slow ferments. The yeast doesn't throw off flavors when it works slow. It's also good to not have the carboy too full as one of the products of fermentation of beer is a krausen and it will make a mess if it spills over.

As long as you pitched enough yeast and oxygenated well, you should be ok. Having a little extra head space will give you a margin of error against a gusher carboy while you're away. Getting back to your original question... fwiw I generally leave all my ales and lagers in primary and rack to a keg or bottling bucket between days 18-24. The day/temp schedule is different for ales and lagers, but I like the results when the beer finishes off on the yeast cake. IMO, there is no need for a two stage fermentation unless you're doing extended aging with spice/wood/fruit or perhaps bulk aging a lager.

I typically only secondary for strong beers, lagers, or when I try to rack onto flavorings like fruit, cocoa nibs, etc.

Lately I haven't had a ton of time to brew/rack/bottle and I've left some beer in primary for more than a month before finally bottling. I'm not an expert taster, but I don't think I'm getting autolysis flavors. What I am getting is sluggish yeast that don't want to eat up my priming sugar.

All recommendations against the 2 stage fermentation are sound. It can stay in this carboy for a month with no problem. I do have room for another 2 inches of liquid which will of course yield another couple of inches of beer. Is it a bad idea to add a bit more water?

More beer but less ABV. It's a tradeoff but it's yours to make [emoji481]

I typically only secondary for strong beers, lagers, or when I try to rack onto flavorings like fruit, cocoa nibs, etc.

Lately I haven't had a ton of time to brew/rack/bottle and I've left some beer in primary for more than a month before finally bottling. I'm not an expert taster, but I don't think I'm getting autolysis flavors. What I am getting is sluggish yeast that don't want to eat up my priming sugar.

Autolysis is very rare at the homebrew level. I've left a beer in the fermenter for 9 weeks without autolysis. I've also left beer in the bottles on the yeast for 2 years at room temperature without autolysis. I don't know why you get sluggish yeast as the batch that spent 9 weeks in my fermenter carbonated the same as if I had only left it for 10 days. The only factor I can think of for sluggish yeast after a month is temperature. Mine carbonate at about 72F.

Back