2 pump or 3 pump system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deece

Reaction score
Hi all. Not sure if this is the correct place to post but here goes. I am (slowly) building my brew rig. All electric single tier and had been planning on using 3 pumps as I would like to do back to back batches and kind of like the idea of hard plumbing. When I first started designing it I had envisioned motorized valves as well. I have since ditched the idea if motorized valves. I really liked JonW's rig and based a lot of my 3 pump desires off of seeing it. now I'm having second thoughts as to whether or not to go with the 3rd pump. anyone have any good advice?

You can always purchase a third pump and make some plumbing changes later if you don't get a two pump process that you like.

I am running a 3 vessel, 2 pump RIMS system controlled by a BCS-460 that I have refined over the past few years. I am using two 3-way valves for control and only have to move one hose from whirlpool to fermenter during the process. Everything else is done via the 3-way valves and throttling valves on the pump outlets. My system is not hard plumbed, as I use cam locks on hoses for many connections, but they don't have to be moved during the process. If I plan properly, I can start HLT and MLT operations for a second batch while the first batch is boiling and being pumped to the fermenter.

I don't have a build thread as I am very poor at documentation, but PM me if you would like any details.

Chuck

Thanks for your input Chuck. Any chance you have a pic or two of your plumbing?

No actual photo, but here's a schematic of the plumbing.

goats-breath-4-61437.png

The output from the CFC can be directed to either the BK or the fermenter by moving the output hose.

I'll try to take some photos of the entire stand later today if it quits raining and allows me to move some stuff out of the way in the garage.

I use silicone hoses instead of all hard lines just because its easier to clean and more adjustable but my system uses 3 dc pumps and I dont have to move any hoses around during the brew process short of one hose to recirculate hot wort through my plate chiller to sterilize it having cooled wort going through a 3 way valve seemed like an opportunity for infection to me due to the liquid trapped inside the ball... I use multiple 3 way valves to redirect flow.

IMG_20141216_195013_432.jpg

IMG_20141216_172130_582.jpg

thx Augie and Chuck. Much appreciated. Augie are you happy with the little tan pumps?

Back