2 Oktoberfest questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use this method to brew a quick lager, it works really well: http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

The decoction is a debatable process. I've heard that with the modern malts today that decotion is not necessary or benificial. Others swear by it.. I've done it both ways and I can't really tell the difference except for color

The decoction route makes the beer darker, correct?

I've had a hell of a time finding an oktoberfest recipe that is a wee bit darker.

You can use this method to brew a quick lager, it works really well: http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

The decoction is a debatable process. I've heard that with the modern malts today that decotion is not necessary or benificial. Others swear by it.. I've done it both ways and I can't really tell the difference except for color

I got into homebrewing specifically because I wanted to be able to brew Oktoberfests year round. Oktoberfests are my session beer.

I've done lengthy step down processes and long lagering (2-3 months). I've also done faster lagering processes similar to above. Based on my untrained tastings, I found this quicker lagering approach to produce very very good results.

I'm still perfecting my personal Oktoberfest recipe, but this is my go to approach right now:

1) Chill wort to 52 degrees, pitch large starter and ferment for about 7 days.
2) Pull the carboy to room temperature (65-66 in my basement) for diacetyl rest for about 3-4 days. I make the decision when to start this not on gravity readings (afraid of oxidation), but based on a judgment of seeing the kraussen starting to fall.
3) Keg to lager. Generally I wait 3 weeks.

This is cool. I never heard of this technique before - thanks. I am wondering if I should try this for my first go-round with an Oktoberfest though?....

I just made two Marzen batches this past weekend for an experiment. Both BIAB. Batch #1 was decocted and sparged normally. Batch #2 was single infusion and no-sparge. Krausen is already beginning to fall on Batch #2 after just 3 days. Both at 55 F. I plan to use gelatin via the Tasty/Brulosophy method to get it ready to drink in time for September. Should be fine.

The decoction route makes the beer darker, correct?

I've had a hell of a time finding an oktoberfest recipe that is a wee bit darker.

Correct, the decoction makes it darker. What recipe are you looking at? I've used 1.1 lbs of Caramunich and I get a pretty dark(12.8 SRM as measured by iBrewmaster). Here is what I use for my recipe:

5.5 Munich
5.5 Vienna
1.1 Caramunich
.5 wheat

Some like to use Pilsner, but I like the richness of the extra Munich and Vienna.

It's all about the Vienna malt IMO. My recipes use 75-80% Vienna and usually skip Pilsner malt altogether. A bit o' Munich and CaraMunich round it out and add a little something extra.

Latest posts

Back