2 Month Long Fermentation - troubleshooting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewToHeugh

Reaction score
http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1037 2013 India Pale Ale Recipe.pdf

so i currently have this IPA kit from brewers best fermenting but for one reason or another i let it sit for 2 months long...

at first i did 3 weeks, then 1.5 weeks cold crashing, then returned it to room temp for another month. When i was cold crashing, i put on a sealed bung and its been like that for the last month. I opened it up maybe twice since then but just to let out the gas (carboy bomb).

Im about to bottle this bad boy and was just wondering... did i fuk up my brew? It smells absolutely amazing so far. Will my beer carbonate ok? will i have to add more sugar or maybe some yeast?

thoughts would be great. thanks!!:rockin:

Your in great shape, might be slightly over the time frame from fermenting and packaging but alls well that ends well.
Throw some boiled priming sugar in a bucket and when you siphon off cake grab a little bit of the yeast at the end. You should have no problem carbing i just like to do this when the primary/aging sits for over 2 months. Ive heard people having no problems but i like to be on the safe side and not re-dose each bottle with yeast when there all flat.

My recommendation: add priming sugar; put in bottles; forget for three weeks; cool to temperature; enjoy.

I wonder though, since it has been sealed, did it carbonate at all?

Your in great shape, might be slightly over the time frame from fermenting and packaging but alls well that ends well.
Throw some boiled priming sugar in a bucket and when you siphon off cake grab a little bit of the yeast at the end. You should have no problem carbing i just like to do this when the primary/aging sits for over 2 months. Ive heard people having no problems but i like to be on the safe side and not re-dose each bottle with yeast when there all flat.

this is great. ill try to suck up some trub. do you recommend adding extra priming sugar?

Your beer didn't ferment for 2 months, it only fermented for as long as it takes for the yeast to eat the sugars, which is usually about a week. The rest of the time your beer has been bulk aging and conditioning, just like in a secondary. Fermentation is a process, with an ending.

My recommendation: add priming sugar; put in bottles; forget for three weeks; cool to temperature; enjoy.

I wonder though, since it has been sealed, did it carbonate at all?

well after i cold crashed i let it be for a month and opened it up quickyl just to let out gas... twice. the bung almost flew off both times if i werent holding it tight but boy did it smell great. havent tasted it though. going to prime it this week, taste test, and update after another month :)

Back