2 Liter Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosloe

Reaction score
Hi,

I have found a few threads here centered around adding a tire valve stem into a 2 liter soda cap and force carbonating with an air chuck. I am looking for a cheap and ‘fridge shelf friendly’ alternative to a full blown kegerator (Basically a DIY TAD) due to space limitations. I had an idea that I thought might be interesting, but as I don’t have any experience with or have ever had any hands on with kegs I think I’m just missing something. Would it be possible to install keg posts into a wide mouth 2 or 3 liter soda bottle so that standard CO2 and a QD Picnic tap could be ran as gas in and liquid out? Please forgive me if the concept is ridiculous as I haven’t really been able to find sufficient information on how keg posts are actually mounted :mug:

Thanks,

Sosloe

I dont think you will have enough room for both ports but if you do... i would be intrested in your solution and what you used as a dip tube.

Keg posts are female and screw onto a threaded male post that sticks up from the lip of the keg. You could probably affix one disconnect to the wide mouth caps, but not both. It would be a lot of trouble to make this work like you want it to. I would say your best bet is to fashion a carbonator cap like you already mentioned with a tire valve. Or, you could just order one from More Beer. I think this would serve you well. Just keep the 2L bottle pressurized until it's all the way carbed and then start drinking it. If there's anything left in the bottle when you've had enough for the night, bump the pressure back up on the bottle and it will be good to go for the next go round. You'll essentialy use about the same amount of CO2 as you would dispensing from a keg if you do it this way. If you re-pressurize the bottle every time you pull a pint, you'll go through more CO2. This is why I reccomend that you only re-pressurize after you'd had your fill. If you keep the beer cold, it will hold it's carb for an evening or so.

Thanks for the feedback. Are the Gas in / Liquid out Quick Disconnects interchangeable? (I think I remember reading somewhere they weren’t) Just wondering if I were to use that QD Carb cap, might it be possible to charge the container then disconnect the gas and attach a QD Tap for serving using just the bottle pressure / gravity for serving..?

Thanks,

Sosloe

Technically no, they are not interchangeable. However, gas disconnects will fit the liquid out posts, but the liquid out disonnects won't fit the gas in posts. So, I guess you could put a liquid out post on the cap and use both QD's on it. However, you will still need a dip tube. Without the male post that sticks up from the keg, there's no good way to use the dip tube. The male fitting on the keg has a flat lip on it that the o-ring from the dip tube rests on and then the post and poppet valve fit snuggle against it to hold the seal. If you could find a male keg fitting (don't know that they even sell them since replacing one on a keg would be almost impossible) you could make it work. Again, I don't think this is really worth the effort though. Just get a carbonator cap and a CO2 tank and be done with it.

Back