2 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is just waiting on kids to go to bed and get brewing :)

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

1394830866966.jpg

I have 2 of the B/D conicals. I've used them twice. I didn't get the bubbler add-ons,but bought 2x #2 rubber stoppers to allow the airlocks to fit. They did not fit. They had to be pushed way down into the hole and still didn't fit tight. On both batches the airlocks never bubbled once. The beer fermented ok,but it never showed in the airlock,so the 2nd time,I just replaced the little red plug and it worked out fine. The only real problem I had was that the trub,which was below the spigot,had become so compacted that it was hard for my garden hose to loosen it,and that was after only 3 weeks. I've since went back to the LBK and have been using them instead.I agree,the B/D should have a trub dump in the bottom.

I have 2 of the B/D conicals. I've used them twice. I didn't get the bubbler add-ons,but bought 2x #2 rubber stoppers to allow the airlocks to fit. They did not fit. They had to be pushed way down into the hole and still didn't fit tight. On both batches the airlocks never bubbled once. The beer fermented ok,but it never showed in the airlock,so the 2nd time,I just replaced the little red plug and it worked out fine. The only real problem I had was that the trub,which was below the spigot,had become so compacted that it was hard for my garden hose to loosen it,and that was after only 3 weeks. I've since went back to the LBK and have been using them instead.I agree,the B/D should have a trub dump in the bottom.

I am gonna try for the 7 days of fermenting like the kit that it came with says it is my first brew but I bought a hydrometer and test tube and will hopefully get everything will go well and the trub won't give me the same problem that's my main concern they should have a dump valve I agree would make it much easier. But we will see how she works here soon makes me want to put my kids to bed at 6:30 lol but I can't ..... Damn it guess I will just be patient.

Pictures, please. I'd like to see this little fermenter in action. You got me wanting one for my small batches.
Well hope it worked I pitched my yeast at 75 degrees everything looks smells good just got my fingers crossed I put vodka in my bubbler see how she works :)

1394849740370.jpg

Nothing in the bubbler yet some foam on the top not a lot tho but more than last night. It's at 72 right now is this normal its been over twelve hours I wanna see some action ! :)

Any advice ? Good, bad , this is my first brew feedback plz :)

Normal. Fermentation can take up to 24 hours to show activity in the air lock. Relax. A watched pot never boils.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

Yea It's just my first batch and I am antsy lol everything looks ok like I said there is some foam on top not a lot but there is some change so hoping it all goes well

Getting back to the OP's original question (I just found this thread), I totally agree. I've since gone to 1 and 2 gal batches. If I've really nailed a beer, then perhaps a 3 gal batch. I wish I never bought my 5 gal equipment.

Why?

I don't know, maybe I'm anti-social, but I simply don't have THAT many friends to help me consume 600 beers every year.

I mean, with the thousands of recipes and styles there are to explore, how can you NOT brew at least one batch per month? (Time permitting). So this is where I simply DO NOT get why a 5 gallon batch is so popular!

Twelve 5 gal batches per year = 600 beers (at least). That's 12 beers per week. Maybe this is where my problem lays- I drink less than that. There, I SAID IT! Personally, if I drink more than 4-5 beers per week, I definitely put on the weight. I've already proven that! So what to do with the other 7 beers?

Yeah of course I've got friends to share with, but they're sort of like me, and can't handle being given beers every week from me and their other friends (and that's when my beers are worth sharing), plus...

I haven't even mentioned that (I assume) we all consume beers other than our own product! Don't tell me you go down the craft beer isle lately (that has thankfully been expanding) without grabbing this and grabbing that. Plus we all have fellow brewers that give US their brew. All those extra bottles ALSO eat into my weekly consumption "quota"!

So Again, I'm mystified at what everyone else does with the massive quantity of beer produced by multiple 5 gallon batches (i.e., 10-12 batches a year). And if brewing less, then why? I mean, as I mentioned earlier, there are so many recipes and own creations to try, why brew so few batches (unless of course time available for brewing is a factor in your life - I can see that).

So yes, I'm a huge proponent of small batches. I usually brew 1 gal batches, till I find one I really like, then will step-up the size next time. Or if I really expect I'll like a batch, I'll pull out my trusty Mr. beer 2 gal fermenter!

As such, I really appreciate the "Scale Recipe Size" function in the BeerSmith software - it's been a huge benefit for me.

Getting back to the OP's original question (I just found this thread), I totally agree. I've since gone to 1 and 2 gal batches. If I've really nailed a beer, then perhaps a 3 gal batch. I wish I never bought my 5 gal equipment.

Why?

I don't know, maybe I'm anti-social, but I simply don't have THAT many friends to help me consume 600 beers every year.

I mean, with the thousands of recipes and styles there are to explore, how can you NOT brew at least one batch per month? (Time permitting). So this is where I simply DO NOT get why a 5 gallon batch is so popular!

Twelve 5 gal batches per year = 600 beers (at least). That's 12 beers per week. Maybe this is where my problem lays- I drink less than that. There, I SAID IT! Personally, if I drink more than 4-5 beers per week, I definitely put on the weight. I've already proven that! So what to do with the other 7 beers?

Yeah of course I've got friends to share with, but they're sort of like me, and can't handle being given beers every week from me and their other friends (and that's when my beers are worth sharing), plus...

I haven't even mentioned that (I assume) we all consume beers other than our own product! Don't tell me you go down the craft beer isle lately (that has thankfully been expanding) without grabbing this and grabbing that. Plus we all have fellow brewers that give US their brew. All those extra bottles ALSO eat into my weekly consumption "quota"!

So Again, I'm mystified at what everyone else does with the massive quantity of beer produced by multiple 5 gallon batches (i.e., 10-12 batches a year). And if brewing less, then why? I mean, as I mentioned earlier, there are so many recipes and own creations to try, why brew so few batches (unless of course time available for brewing is a factor in your life - I can see that).

So yes, I'm a huge proponent of small batches. I usually brew 1 gal batches, till I find one I really like, then will step-up the size next time. Or if I really expect I'll like a batch, I'll pull out my trusty Mr. beer 2 gal fermenter!

As such, I really appreciate the "Scale Recipe Size" function in the BeerSmith software - it's been a huge benefit for me.

Totally agree. (Really wish the HBT app had a like button.) I also wish I would have started with smaller batches. I have my "house" beers that I and some of my friends really enjoy, but there are many styles out there I've never tried. I don't want to waste time, and especially money, on a big batch of beer if I'm not going to drink it. Plus, reading through the unnecessary brewing practices thread, I may cut down my mash times and cleaning schedule for bottles. (Clean bottles immediately after use and store. Bottling day, rinse out dust and sanitize.) A 45 minute mash on a small grain bill using BIAB may be plenty of time for conversion.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

Why?

You're not alone brother! :mug:

The way I think of it, some folks like spagetti. My SWMBO is one of them, she'd eat it every night if she could get away with it. Almost always the same sauce, almost always the same noodles - but it's still spagetti in my book. I on the other hand will eat anything under the sun - including the kitchen table if properly seasoned. I love variety, trying new things - and as it's just me that usually is having a beer (thought the SWMBO is starting to come around to some of the experiments and has her own favorites) I'm firmly in the small batch brewing camp.

BeerLover -

Looks great! That's a fun little setup, I like the brown PET - I have to cover up all my carboys. I bet it'll make transfering to the bottling bucket a snap (provided you use one, I know BikerBrewer said he bottles straight out of the conical. Get that puppy in the basement, forget about it for a few weeks, and start planning your next brew!

I'll be curious to know how cleanup goes in it!

Why?

My guy at the local brew supply store gets on my nerves. I told him yesterday I found a thread where lots of people brew small batches for quicker brewing and more variety of brews. He still acts like I am a idiot for brewing 2.5 gal batches. Personally I think it's cause he only sells for 5 gallon batches he really pissed me off. Makes me just want to order supplies on line

He still acts like I am a idiot for brewing 2.5 gal batches.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post how I too, totally disagree with this attitude. The OP mentioned the advice he got, which I also hear quite often: "Well if you're going to take the time to brew a small batch, you might as well brew a 5 gal batch!"

Hogwash.

In my beginning days, it took me 2 or 3 Mr. Beer batches to declare myself ready to join the "big leagues". So my first 4 or 5 batches after that were 5 gal batches. Flash forward 1-2 years, as I was dumping perhaps 20 bottles from each of those batches, I realized then, what a mistake I made brewing so much beer. And yes, I admit some of those early batches weren't worthy of sharing, so that's a consideration. Regardless, it was then that I decided to go to small batch brewing and I've been happier since.

I've wandered... getting back to my original point... Hogwash. Yes, IT IS MORE TROUBLE to brew a 5 gal batch than a 2.5 gal batch... especially if you're bottling. I'll admit here also, that kegging does narrow the "hassle" factor.

But still, IT IS EASIER when using smaller pots, smaller fermenters, and simply less-cumbersome equipment. Less bottles. And it's LESS TIME.

NOT to mention, less beer to have to store, and less beer to have to rely on friends to drink or dump down the sink. Or otherwise drink yourself and get fat. Again, this all assuming one is brewing and drinking more than @4-5 batches per year.

So each time I hear someone say, "If you're going to brew ANYWAY, then you might as well brew a 5 gal batch"!, I just want to explode.

THANK YOU. I just think its bad business so I am trying to get another store owner here in town to carry brewing supply stuff as well for the " little guys"

My guy at the local brew supply store gets on my nerves. I told him yesterday I found a thread where lots of people brew small batches for quicker brewing and more variety of brews. He still acts like I am a idiot for brewing 2.5 gal batches. Personally I think it's cause he only sells for 5 gallon batches he really pissed me off. Makes me just want to order supplies on line

Any other LHBS around you? Next time he starts his comments, you can always tell him that if he doesn't want your business, you can take it elsewhere and see if his attitude changes. I'm lucky. My LHBS has great people, very willing to help anyone with any type of set-up. They have their own kits for 5 gal batches, but I have seen the owner get on his computer and custom size a batch for someone without any negative comment and with an enthusiastic attitude. He appreciates the business.

My LHBS helps with adjustments and substitutions with care as well. They are an excited bunch that I am pleased to have near by. I would suggest looking for another place to shop.

Jupapabear

Any other LHBS around you? Next time he starts his comments, you can always tell him that if he doesn't want your business, you can take it elsewhere and see if his attitude changes. I'm lucky. My LHBS has great people, very willing to help anyone with any type of set-up. They have their own kits for 5 gal batches, but I have seen the owner get on his computer and custom size a batch for someone without any negative comment and with an enthusiastic attitude. He appreciates the business.

No others around but we do have a microbrewery here in town and the same guy owns a small carry out I talked to him about getting some stuff in his carry out but like I said its a small store. That is his only issue. But I told him I really didn't care for the other guys attitude he is out of town for a week and told me to get back with him when he comes back to town. Hopefully we can get something going.

Slightly off topic, but...

I believe those lids on the Brew Demon conical are similar to the Mr. Beer lid, in that they are designed to vent without an airlock when the plug is in. I believe the "bubbler" conversion they sell contains a gasket to completely seal the lid for the airlock. This may be why some of you guys that bought your own stopper and airlock aren't getting any action in it.

Slightly off topic, but...

I believe those lids on the Brew Demon conical are similar to the Mr. Beer lid, in that they are designed to vent without an airlock when the plug is in. I believe the "bubbler" conversion they sell contains a gasket to completely seal the lid for the airlock. This may be why some of you guys that bought your own stopper and airlock aren't getting any action in it.

Yes it came with a thicker gasket with the bubbler upgrade I have that on I am seeing action in the fermentor now just was bein a little impatient with this being my first brew. I am sure I will get some bubbler action soon it has about a 1/4 inch of head on it now and its moving around fairly good in there so I think like I said being impatient was my problem lol hasn't even been 24 hours yet

Yes it came with a thicker gasket with the bubbler upgrade I have that on I am seeing action in the fermentor now just was bein a little impatient with this being my first brew. I am sure I will get some bubbler action soon it has about a 1/4 inch of head on it now and its moving around fairly good in there so I think like I said being impatient was my problem lol hasn't even been 24 hours yet

I usually don't even bother checking for 24 hours. There are multiple phases to fermentation. I recommend John Palmer's "How To Brew" for the gory details. But the first step is for the yeast to acclimate and reproduce enough to start metabolizing sugar into alcohol. During that phase (adapative phase) they consume oxygen, which is why you want to aerate the wort before pitching the yeast. It can take a day or more before you see any airlock activity depending on how much and how healthy the yeast is and how much oxygen is in the wort. If you don't aerate it's not a disaster, it just takes a little longer. Then for about a week the yeast will turn simple sugars into alcohol during the attenuative or primary phase. Finally they go back and clean up after themselves, consuming the more complex sugars along with some byproducts they made during primary. This is the conditioning or secondary phase. You probably won't see many or any bubbles at all during this phase.

Bottom line is it will bubble for maybe a week, then stop. But don't bottle it yet. Most people recommend waiting at least another week or better two weeks before bottling. Then wait 2-3 weeks or more before drinking. Patience is the hardest part of brewing, but you can't rush it. Well, you can, but it won't taste very good.

Ignore the LHBS guy. I have been brew 2.5 gal AG batches for a year. My wife doesnt really like beer, so it's just me drinking homebrew. I cut down from 5gal to 2.5 gal as that gives my around a case of beer. It works well for me, you gotta do what works for you.

My wife only drinks about three three times a year and only drinks grey goose. She swears by it says its the only thing that don't give her a hangover. I like my beer tho

My wife typically doesn't like any of my beers... so there's another part of my problem. She drinks only Lambics. I don't see myself tackling one of those anytime soon!

Though she recently did show an interest in a local brew pub's coffee brown ale... so guess what's in the (1 gal) fermenter right now???!

Bet its what she likes happy wife happy life :)

Get a copy of Beersmith and learn how to use it. It's the best way to master your small recipes. You can design them and scale larger batches down. I do this all the time with great results.

Get a copy of Beersmith and learn how to use it. It's the best way to master your small recipes. You can design them and scale larger batches down. I do this all the time with great results.

Awesome will have to do that thanks :)

Second this! Take the time and a couple of brews to get the software set up to your process and it will perform remarkably well.

I started doing 2 gal AG batches. I switched to 5 eventually bc so many ppl wanted my beer!

Not sure how you guys brew with those kids! My wife and I just had our first. He's only two months, but man, he added an extra step to my brew day!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I started doing 2 gal AG batches. I switched to 5 eventually bc so many ppl wanted my beer!

Not sure how you guys brew with those kids! My wife and I just had our first. He's only two months, but man, he added an extra step to my brew day!

Not so bad kids are my life brewing is a stress revival. I wait until bedtime then brew

This is true... as I mentioned earlier, it makes it easy (1 button-click easy, that is) to adjust recipes for small batches given that the typical recipe is for 5 gals.

HOWEVER, I found learning the program to be counter-intuitive. Any recipe is built around its water volume and Beersmith really doesn't work its magic till the volume calculations are correct. So I say, "counter-intuitive" because never having used brewing software before, and going-in with misconceptions of what to expect, it took me a while to understand that your "Equipment Profile" is the key to proper volume calculations. Who would've thunk?

So to expand, my frustration was in realizing that nothing would come out right till BeerSmith had proper volumes to work with, and my struggle was in figuring out that achieving correct volume calculations all relied on properly setting-up an equipment profile. That was the counter-intuitive part that I didn't expect. When I first started using the software, I ignored the equipment profile tab, thinking that I would probably make use of it later, as I became more advanced and actually had "Equipment" worthy! But it didn't dawn on me that the software builds the recipe based on the equipment profile. Once I figured this out and learned how to set-up my equipment profile, everything else fell into place.

Not so bad kids are my life brewing is a stress revival. I wait until bedtime then brew

Yea it is a stress reliever for me as well

^^^^ How do you know the kids have gotten the best of you? ^^^^

You quote yourself on HBT and agree without realizing it. :D
(Dad of 2 here also, I know..)

Northern Brewer has many good 1 gallon kits, both all grain and extract. I make a 1 gallon batch and see what I think. If I like it I will get a 5 gallon batch. I like small batches. Very manageable and take up very little space.

Go for it man!!

I just wanted to chime in real quick to thank beerlover for the thread. I ordered a couple of these demon brew demi-conicals. I've been brewing 3 gal batches with ~2.5 gal going into 2.5 gal legs for a long time. Buy lately I've been doing 2-2.5 gal batches. I think these little suckers might work out well for me, especially for aging sours with fruit additions (that big hole helps).

I just wanted to chime in real quick to thank beerlover for the thread. I ordered a couple of these demon brew demi-conicals. I've been brewing 3 gal batches with ~2.5 gal going into 2.5 gal legs for a long time. Buy lately I've been doing 2-2.5 gal batches. I think these little suckers might work out well for me, especially for aging sours with fruit additions (that big hole helps).

I just took my first gravity reading on my first batch out of a 2.5 gallon conical started it last Friday it has around 4 1/2 percent ABV !!!! I have almost made beer minus the bottling and conditioning.. Gonna let it set until like Tue. Or Wed. I think and bottle condition for at least two weeks I am pumped my first batch at least has ABV lol didn't go totally perfect but proves it is a worthy hobby !! Awesome

The first batch is always the most memorable. I'm guessing your LHBS guy is annoyed that you won't be buying any of the 5 gallon kits he has to sell. As a consumer, you're the one with the choice in who you do business with.

Anyway, I switched over to small batch BIAB a few years ago. I can do everything in my kitchen, which is a huge plus because A. I can't have a propane burner where I live, and B. I can still do full volume boils. In addition, I'm able to use a repurposed mini-fridge I got cheap (like a tank of gas) from some graduating college kids that were leaving town. A 3 gallon Better Bottle fits snugly with a blowoff tube, so no more worries about fermentation temps. I could fit a second one in there if I wanted to.

I'm also glad to see that I have some brethren here that don't drink enough to justify 5 gallon batches. I might drink three or four bottles a week, but I prefer it to be as high quality as I can make it. My days of housing a 12-pack are well behind me. So now I can brew every six weeks or so and still have plenty of beer to give away and share. Besides, I think I enjoy the process as much as the end result.

I was at a homebrew club meeting a few months ago and a guy brought some samples of a pepper stout. This guy is a fabulous brewer and the beer was *amazing* but it was still a novelty. I'm like, what in the heck are you gonna do with 5 gallons of this other than let it sit in bottles for a few years until you dump it out when you get tired of looking at it. Still delicious, though.

Well I got a cleaning brush and some other little stuff but I do not see myself brewing more than a 2.5 gallon batch for anything I would run another small batch before I ran 5 gallons of anything. So no he won't be selling me a kit anytime soon.

I just took my first gravity reading on my first batch out of a 2.5 gallon conical started it last Friday it has around 4 1/2 percent ABV !!!! I have almost made beer minus the bottling and conditioning.. Gonna let it set until like Tue. Or Wed. I think and bottle condition for at least two weeks I am pumped my first batch at least has ABV lol didn't go totally perfect but proves it is a worthy hobby !! Awesome

Sounds like beer to me. Congratulations!

You really don't need to buy kits. You can just buy ingredients according to recipes which can be found everywhere. It's more fun that way, and you have more control. Plus it gives you more of a feeling of accomplishment, like making a pot of soup instead of opening a can of soup.

Sounds like beer to me. Congratulations!

You really don't need to buy kits. You can just buy ingredients according to recipes which can be found everywhere. It's more fun that way, and you have more control. Plus it gives you more of a feeling of accomplishment, like making a pot of soup instead of opening a can of soup.

I am buy ingredients and go from scratch on the next brew I totally agree! I like to cook as well ( mainly on the grill ) but I am going to find a brew that sounds good and scale it down so I have that sense of accomplishment. This beer came with my fermentor I think it was a good way to get my feet wet so to speak.

Back