2 gallon All grain Stein Bier (loads of pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodsStepBrother

Reaction score
I finally had enough of not being able to be in an active brew club. I love brewing, but I cannot afford the equipment or the ingredients to fill up a whiskey barrel, much less buy a barrel! And yesterday I got tired of seeing brew clubs make Stein Bier. While I sat in envy, I realized I can just make a 1 or 2 gallon batch.

I did the research and realized I have granite rocks sitting outside of the office I work at in the landscaping! I took one home and heated it up really hot on my propane grill, and nervously added it to a gallon of room temperature water. Just like the videos it sizzled and spattered, and instantly brought the water to boiling, and the rock did not crack or explode. Yesterday I got more rocks got started.

You can really use any recipe you want, being that stein bier gets it flavor from the method of heating and the caramelized sugars that burn on the rocks. I opted for something simple so I can tell what the rocks really do to the beer. I found a recipe online regarding stein beer and with a little modification I was ready to go. I am posting some photos on here to show how easy it is to do 1 gallon batch or a 2 gallon batch of Stein beer and hopefully taste something worthwhile.

DSCN2007.jpg

This is the recipe I chose (I do not have the recipe in front of me so I will update later), but off the top of my head; it has Pilsner malt, Munich, White wheat and biscuit. 60 minute Saaz hop addition and 20 min Hallertau addition.
DSCN2008.jpg

DSCN2009.jpg

DSCN2013.jpg

Homebrew break! (Vanilla porter anyone)
DSCN2014.jpg

DSCN2019.jpg

While the mash was going I got the Granite that was soaking overnight in water, and gave it a good scrub down, to get rid of any dirt and debris.
DSCN2017.jpg

I then put the rocks on the grill, (again notice that beautiful pint of vanilla porter to your right).
DSCN2020.jpg

The grill was not cutting it and the rocks where not getting hot enough so, I had to jut place them directly on the fire, and this worked the rocks got red hot on the bottom. The rocks resembled red hot iron on the bottom.
DSCN2021.jpg

Once the rocks where red hot, they were added to the wort 2 at a time and bingo! We got a boil!
DSCN2022.jpg

DSCN2024.jpg

DSCN2026.jpg

DSCN2028.jpg

DSCN2030.jpg

You can compare the rocks to the first pictures and see how coated they are after a couple of dips in the wort. So I kept the boil going for one hour and 20 minutes to make up for the time it takes to switch out the rocks during which the boil slows down considerably.
Long story short, I put 3 of the rocks into the fermenter so yeast can eat the burnt sugar, an supposedly impart a unique flavor.
DSCN2035.jpg

DSCN2036.jpg

DSCN2033.jpg

Here is the end result, gravity was at 1.062, and it was an amber color the flash makes it look orange in the photo though.
DSCN2038.jpg

So much fun!! Try it out, it is very different. Next time I want to do it with wood, so it can hopefully get a better smoke flavor.
:mug:

So if you didn't put the rocks into the fermenter, would you lose a lot of the unique characteristics of the caramelized wort being on the rocks? Or, is some of that imparted just from the boiling process?

Only reason I ask is because i'm interested in doing this - but would have to ferment in something with a much wider mouth than a Better Bottle to get rocks in there.

Cool post - thanks for sharing!

*edit* Just checked this out: http://***********/stories/beer-sty...beer-styles/862-hot-rocks-making-a-stein-beer cause your post had piqued my interest, and they actually use the stones in secondary. Interesting. Either way, sounds like a bucket (or a fermenter similar to yours) would be needed.

Burgs, I do not know exactly why they say to put the rocks in secondary that does not make sense to me. I saw some videos and read everything I could on the style and how others have done it. Some people put the rocks in secondary and some in primary. I chose primary due to the sugars being accessible to the yeast when they are most active.

I am sure some caramelized flavors come just from the rocks scorching the wort, but there is so much sugar coating the rocks that it will most likely get a lot more flavor. I don’t know this is the first time I do this.

I got the little fermenter at Wal Mart, once fermentation is done I will rack the beer to a 1 gallon fermenter, and avoid all that head space.

Edit: You could probably use a better bottle (though the rocks will scratch it), I would use a glass carboy and then on the last addition of rocks heat up some very small chunks of granite and add those on the final addition.

Subscribed. I've been thinking about trying this for a long time. I really wanna know how this turns out!

and here it is fermenting. (I took it out of my fermentation chamber for the photo)

IMG00103-20110416-0047.jpg

*edit* Just checked this out: http://***********/stories/beer-sty...beer-styles/862-hot-rocks-making-a-stein-beer cause your post had piqued my interest, and they actually use the stones in secondary. Interesting. Either way, sounds like a bucket (or a fermenter similar to yours) would be needed.

The recipe I got was from this very site Burgs, I just modified it a little. Here it is.

Pilsner 1.5 lbs
Munich 14 oz
White wheat 8 oz
Biscuit 2oz

Saaz .4 oz 60 min.
Hallertau .3 oz 20 min.

I did not measure the final volume do to the rocks in the pot, but it looks like a gallon and a half.

I finally had enough of not being able to be in an active brew club. I love brewing, but I cannot afford the equipment...I can just make a 1 or 2 gallon batch.

I'm confused, just sell the grain mill and buy a 7 gallon bucket from USP, a bayou burner and a big aluminum pot.

Badmajon, I am not sure if you think I solely want to brew stein bier from now on? I have two 15 gallon kegs that I can do this in if that was the case. If I were to sell my grain mill, then that would halt all my other batches, including any possibility of an all grain Stein Bier. I would have to order all my grain already milled, and could no longer get a cheap price on barely by buying in bulk. I already have the burner, and I already have the bucket.

I think you’re trying to reference my statement about the barrel and the act of making stein bier. When I said I cannot afford the equipment, I was referencing the oak barrel to do Lambic’s that I always see brew clubs doing. When I referenced the brew club, I was referencing the effort and time it takes to constantly be moving big rocks for a 10 or 5 gallon batch, much less keeping a fire stoked that can head up the size rocks you need for a bigger batch of stein bier. I also cannot just build a huge fire in my backyard.

I am barely able to manage my pipe line right now as I wait for my girlfriend to get out of college this May, I am the sole bread winner of the house. You are right I can make more Stein Bier, but then I would not be able to brew for a whole month or so.

Sorry I should have clarified a little bit better. :D

Great experiment. Looks like a lot of fun.

I wonder how the caramelization flavor compares to boiling down a gallon of first runnings?

Great experiment. Looks like a lot of fun.

I wonder how the caramelization flavor compares to boiling down a gallon of first runnings?

I actually want to do this with a Scotch ale I am planning. Have you tried it before? Is it very evident?

I have to admit, I've never heard of this.. I googled it and found an article from an old BYO.
http://***********/stories/beer-sty...beer-styles/862-hot-rocks-making-a-stein-beer

Pretty cool, I wish I could try some to see it's it worth the effort. Let us know how it turns out!

Badmajon, I am not sure if you think I solely want to brew stein bier from now on? I have two 15 gallon kegs that I can do this in if that was the case. If I were to sell my grain mill, then that would halt all my other batches, including any possibility of an all grain Stein Bier. I would have to order all my grain already milled, and could no longer get a cheap price on barely by buying in bulk. I already have the burner, and I already have the bucket.
ah okay my bad, I was totally off base there!

It adds a noticeable flavor. Not like the grain/crystal malt caramel flavors. Cleaner and a bit more subtle toasted sugar flavor. SOP for Scottish ales in my book.

As promised here is the update with loads of pictures again (my girlfriend got picture happy).

Here is a picture of the fermentor, in which you can somewhat make out the rocks inside.

IMG00116-20110426-2212.jpg

IMG00115-20110426-2212.jpg

Fermentor after siphoning.
IMG00119-20110426-2256.jpg

IMG00121-20110426-2257.jpg

Rocks covered in yeast, and with the yeast washed off.
IMG00125-20110426-2306.jpg

IMG00126-20110426-2307.jpg

Couldn’t help myself had to snag a taste
IMG00122-20110426-2258.jpg

It tasted pretty good, nothing really defined yet except yeasty. It is still very young we will see how it goes.
Here it is in its new skin! Looking sexy
IMG00123-20110426-2303.jpg

and to finish, she’s got a nice little snug home with all her comrades.
IMG00124-20110426-2303.jpg

I cant wait to try it out. :ban:

very cool!!

How long are you going to let it age?

I do not know how long I will age it. I know I will keep one for a long time maybe a year or so. There is so much interest in this beer; so many people are bugging to try it. I want to try it before making another one though.

Is that a 15% abv stout you have next to it, too? That fridge is all kinds of cool.:rockin:

Yes that is a 15% stout that I made, it is an experiment that I ended up doing when I was getting pretty drunk at my house. Look at my signature I have the link to the recipe on there. Here is a pick of the fridge a couple of weeks ago, I love this thing!
carboy.jpg

she does look sexy in that skin!

Very sexy indeed.

Awesome! well done, I also have been thinking about one of these for a long time but for some reason havent tried it. I hadnt thought of using it to carmelize wort for a Scotch Ale. Thats a great idea. I have a SA on the docket in the near future and will have to get this idea figured into the recipe...Thanks

I never heard of this before either. Pretty cool. So the rocks do the boiling for ya? I'll have to research this some more from the links in this thread. Probably at a time when I'm not supposed to be working LOL

This website is horrible! anytime I am on hold or not with a client, I am on this site. Its an addiciton.

That is awesome bobbym, it was that video and the one on basic brewing that first got me interested in doing this. How did this beer end up tasting?

I bottled the beer yesterday. I got about 8 and a half 12 oz bottles, and got a taste again. I tried a Stone beer last week at a beer tasting and I tasted a flavor I could not identify, when I tasted mine it seems to have that same flavor. Almost like how the rocks smell? Kind of wet dirty but with a very mineral quality, the flavor is hard to describe and the beer is still very young to judge (it was defiantly drinkable though!). One thing, it was crystal clear, check out the picture of the hydrometer sample.
IMG00164-20110510-2239.jpg

Rocks are some of my favorite flavors in beer, as well as forest floor, and moldy cave ;-) lol.

Has your brewing club done another one of these? Did your guys rocks end up pitch black as well bobby? I don’t know if I should use them again, or get some new ones. Maybe they wont be as rocky if I use them over and over again haha.

It's awesome to see more people doing steinbeers. I have wanted to do one for a long time. Still need to complete my second all grain equipment setup. Might make one with my brewing co-op.

I think I will call it "Peter".

Back