2 different varieties too close?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar79

Reaction score
I have cascade and nugget hops which get pretty close near the top and might start to intertwine or touch near the top. Is this bad and should I cut them near the tip so they stop growing taller? attached are pics to see what I mean.

hop3.JPG

hop2.JPG

Go ahead and trim, but I'd say it's too late. The sidearms will make a wad regardless.

I'd recommend screwing some 2' pipes into the T at the top and moving the twines. I used inverted-Vs in the past and had problems, so this year I staggered the twines about 3' along the T-bars on my uprights.

Wouldn't hurt to brace the vertical to the 4x4s.

They will certainly intertwine and you will have a hard time knowing which cones are which. In the grand scheme, it won't kill you to have a few nugget cones in your cascade stash and vice versa. Each cone is a very small amount.

Also, if you have a proportion of mixed cones, you could keep them seperate as a "Lucky dip" And just use them as bittering hops rather than aroma.

Back