2.5 gallon keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
I saw this KEG INJECTOR SYSTEM @ Williams Brewing

and though this might be a good way to get into kegging.

I do 5 gallon batches and though it might be nice to keg half and bottle the other of certain beers.

While it may be pretty expensive It's certainly cheeper that a keezer or a kegerator which btw would like to have someday.

I would like to hear opinions, Thanks

Sounds like a plan. Not sure about those kegs WB is selling- they are fairly new on the market i believe. Personally, i'd spend the extra few bucks and go with this: Brand new 2.5 gallon ball lock home brew keg, just because i like the rubber bottom and you know the kegs are good quality.

Yep, that works just fine. I have three of those small kegs (ball locks) and love them.

I'd still consider maybe just using the "injector" for parties, and it's hard to get the right amount of c02 in them and the beer will not really stay carbed exactly the way you want. I think a paintball tank and a regulator would be a better long-term solution.

You guys are awesome. That's great advice.

so,

Corny Keg - NEW (2.5 gallon) 119.99
Beer Line Assembly 13.95
20oz CO2 Tank 16.95
couple of quick disconnects 12 bucks

162 bucks:mug:

Yep, that works just fine. I have three of those small kegs (ball locks) and love them.

I'd still consider maybe just using the "injector" for parties, and it's hard to get the right amount of c02 in them and the beer will not really stay carbed exactly the way you want. I think a paintball tank and a regulator would be a better long-term solution.

+1

When I bought my 3 gallon keg set up I purchased a 5lb CO2 tank and a pocket keg charger. Although the pocket charger is fun, it's mostly trial and error; I'm thankful that I spent the extra dough on the tank and regulator. With the tank you'll be able to force carb, and let's be realistic: it's the reason we've all wanted to begin kegging.

I will say that I wish I bought two 2.5/3 gallon kegs, though. Although you're not prepping ~50 bottles, you're still going to go through the motions; you've only subtracted one thing to add another.

Notwithstanding, if you keep your pipeline moving, you'll often drink from the keg and forget about your bottles. It's a nice way to build a treasure trove of Brewing Past for friends. :tank:

Used 2.5 are very hard to come by.:(

If you were able to track down a used 2.5g (which is often very difficult) the price will be within ~$20 of a new one from rebel brewing. It's really not worth buying them used. The only way you'll find one even close to $50 is if it's from someone living in a cave and doesn't know their value.

yeah 250 bucks is just crazy, that's almost half the money of what it would cozt to make a kegerator.

Right, I know. But I wouldn't buy the "kit". I'd try to find a used regulator (craigslist or here on the forum) and the paintball tank. I have an extra regulator that I bought on here for $25 or so.

Check out new prices, here: KegConnection.com Home Page That's $80 for the tank, regulator, hoses. All you'd need then is the keg.

The other cool thing, if you have a regulator and small tank, is you can fill soda bottles and then use the "carbonator cap" at $16 to force carb them quickly. So, a 5 gallon batch could be 1 2.5 gallon keg, and a few soda bottles. My preference would be to try to spring for two kegs so you can just keg a batch, but filling soda bottles works too. Or you can prime the whole batch, and keg half and bottle half.

I was thinking of bottling the rest. I like 22oz bomber bottles.

Gotta figure this out I'm also leaning towards a bigger co2 tank for the sake of not having to upgrade in the future.

I was thinking of bottling the rest. I like 22oz bomber bottles.

Gotta figure this out I'm also leaning towards a bigger co2 tank for the sake of not having to upgrade in the future.

One thing to keep in mind is you can get what you need now, and upgrade to a co2 tank and regulator in the future if you're sure you want to continue in brewing and kegging. You'll always find a use for a 2.5 gallon keg and those "chargers".

I still use that "charger" thing occasionally but not very often.

Back