2.5 gal soda in corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyR

Reaction score
just picked up a package of gnome cream soda yesterday and will mix up a batch this weekend.

So here's my question- it looks like there's enough to do a full 5 gallon batch with the mix they provide (well, supposed to, seems on some reviews it's a bit light for the quantity), but if I do half a batch (2.5 gallons) and keg it, any drawbacks to doing it this way? I figure that way if I screw it up much (too much extract, too much sugar, too much water), I have plenty of room to adjust for proper taste...

Anyone have any other suggestions? seems the past posts are all over for recommended "dosages" for sugar vs. mix vs water. But I guess everyone has their own tastes, right?

I'll carb it to 30psi and put a longer line with picnic tap on it in my keezer. Will be fun for the kids to have something out of the keezer. :)

There are no drawbacks to doing it this way, in fact, the more headspace you have in your keg, the faster it carbonates if you shake it. (more surface area for CO2 to be in contact with the liquid).

Some will tell you that it wastes CO2, but that's not true depending on how it's dispensed.

This is exactly how I make soda. I exclusively make 2.5 gallon batches because my little nieces are my biggest soda fans, and they could never polish off a whole five gallons during their visits. Small batches work fine.

As a bonus, I have found that half batches are REALLY easy to carbonate. Like the poster above said, pressurize the keg and give 'er a good shake, and repeat. I've gotten 30 psi bubbliness in minutes doing it that way. Cheers!

Back