2.5 gal all extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to brew several years ago, and want to start again. I only did extract brewing in the past, but am now wanting to try my hand at all grain brewing. I think I want to start out small with a 2.5 gal. batch and start with an extract brew just to re-familiarize myself with all the steps.

I am kicking around the idea of a wheat beer, and came up with the following recipe: 1.5 lbs. Extra Light DME, 2 lbs. Wheat LME, and 1 oz. Cascade hops during the 60 min. boil. If I boil the extract in 2 gallons of water, then top off a 3 gal. carboy, would this work?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I can see myself getting addicted to brewing again, and I would really like to try my hand at all grain if I get into it again.

Thanks in advance!

That should work fine, might want to consider using half of the hops (0.5 ounce) at 60 min and the other half at 30 min. Not sure what kind of yeast you are planning on using but 1 oz of cascades (4-5% alpha acid) at 60 min might be slightly more bitter than most wheat styles (under 20 IBU is pretty typical for wheat).

I think doing a straightforward recipe before getting back into it full swing is a good idea. You might want to consider doing some partial mashes before diving into all-grain. It will build up your confidence in the mashing process and if you don't hit temperatures quite the way you want to or collect less wort than you would like, it is not as crucial because you are still getting help from the extract. Check out some threads on partial mashing if interested. But again, this is just a suggestion, you may feel comfortable jumping right into all grain after your pilot wheat batch

Happy brewing and i hope you enjoy getting back into it.

FREUNDOFBIER

Latest posts

Back