1x1" 16 gauge square tubing strong enough for BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twang

Reaction score
Will a simple stand made from 1" 16 gauge square tubing be strong enough to hold 1 15 gallon pot?

Will a simple stand made from 1" 16 gauge square tubing be strong enough to hold 1 15 gallon pot?

Simple answer: structurally, yes.

Complex answer: a structure is only as strong and its' weakest link re; wrong fasteners, improper welds, poor design.

You will be fine as long as you take your time and properly plan and execute your BIAB project.

My Brutus 10 is built with 1 1/2" tubing and it holds 3 15+ gallon keggles just fine. In fact, I could probably hold a Chevy Chevette atop the burners....

Connections are indeed key - pretty much regardless of the tubing size. You could build with 2" square 1/4" tubing but if the welds are utter ****e things are going to go pear shaped at exactly the wrong time.

I've seen a few 1" square welded single tier 3 vessel rigs running keggles and none of them were new...

Cheers!

You should be fine. Just remember that just because the weld looks pretty doesn't make it strong. If you have any doubts then overbuild it. The cost increase is minuscule compared to the PITA of something breaking.

Perhaps you can find someone local who brews to help build the stand? I know that around here I am always willing to help people with brew stands. I have a pulsed tig and a big mig welder. We can pretty much build anything we need for brewing!

Back