1V electric homebuild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZBrad

Reaction score
Hey fellas

I'm currently building a 1V recirculating system from an old 50l keg and basing the design off a QldKev thread on the aussie homebrew forum from 2012.

Yesterday I installed the element as low as I could to allow me to still tighten the nut (weldless).

The keg has a dish in the bottom which means that it will take about 9L of wort to cover the element. Can anyone foresee this much deadspace causing any issues? I'm also curious to see what sort of volume it takes other systems to cover the element? If anyone knows off the top of their heads I'll be keen to find out from you.

I'm planning on using a plastic bucket with slits and wholes put in the bottom to use as a grain basket.

Brad

Last edited:
I'd just buy or make a BIAB bag unless you're certain that spending an hour or more at a time in mash-temp wort won't leak chemicals out of your grain bucket.

Yea that's been in the back of my mind too.. I've got a 30L stainless pot handy but don't really want to cut off the handles and demo the bottom of it if I can help it!! The grain basket/ malt pipe/ bag is something I can experiment with down the track. Right now my main concern is there is too much volume below the element.. Time will tell!

Back