1st try at a summer ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnorman93638

Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe and I want it to be a honey blonde light and malty. I have right now 6# of MO, 2# Vienna, 1#
honey malt, 3\4# flaked oats and 1\2# of carapils. Should I cut back on something or change a grain? It falls in to an ESB as I have the hops EKG and yeast.

This combination below should make for a decent ESB. Lose the Flaked Oats and use some Crystal 60 instead. Using EKG is fine for that style and an English Ale yeast like Safale S-04 would be good. Also I assume this is for a 5 gallon batch? What percent are your EKG hops?

7 lbs. Maris Otter
1.5 lbs. Vienna
.5 lbs Honey Malt
.5 lbs. Cara Pils
.5 lbs. Crystal 60L

Hey no problem. If your EKG hops are around 5% I would use about 2 oz. for 60 min. and another .5 to .75 oz at 15 min. for aroma. Which should still keep you in range.

They are 5.9 and was playing with the amount to add. I don't want it to hoppy just a light balanced beer.

Well at 5.9% I would probably do 1.5 oz. at 60 minutes and .5 oz at 15 minutes. That would keep you near the lower end of bitterness for the style.

Back