1st Time for Everything: Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkedOut

FunkedOver
Reaction score
Headed out on the maiden voyage minding my water when brewing.
This weekend, I will be brewing a Blonde and an Irish Red.
Starting with 100% distilled water and building water profiles with a few salts.
Irish Red has 15% tap water with campden.
I think I have this figured out, but would really appreciate a review from those in the know to make sure I will not be wasting my time here.
I am posting my Bru'n Water screen shots. Please tell me if you see any glaring mistakes or have some thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

Blonde:
Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 9.43.30 PM.png

Irish Red:
Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 9.51.57 PM.png

I'm guessing you didn't get a response because this is the Brewing Science forum. I'd think you'd draw more attention to questions on how to use a particular spreadsheet from the Brewing Software forum.

@ajdelange thanks for your reply, sir.
I was looking for feedback on the science behind what is represented on those screenshots.

Are my target ph numbers good for each style?
Are my water profiles selected appropriate for each style?
Anything else I don’t know that I don’t know?

I’m an infant to water profile adjustment.
Been reading a lot, but no experience.

Was also planning on adding all of the salts to the water in my brew kettle and turn on the whirlpool pump for a few minutes to stir things up.
Then add the acid and let it run a little while longer, all at room temp.
This is BIAB, full volume mash.

Then heat water to strike temp and dough in as usual.

Sound right?

Though I believe you and I are in the same new-to-building-water boat, it looks like you’ve done what I’ve seen on you tube, reading the directions, etc. cheers!

Made the water last night and mashing the blonde now.

^ that needs to go in the Things brewers say that sound so wrong to non-brewers thread!

I have to say, just tasting the water side by side my tap water, the difference is substantial. I’m anxious to taste this brew.

@brewbama, thanks for your reply. I try to keep me talking to myself private. It was showing itself in this thread!

After my first brew day with water profiles and ph taken into account, I think I have good results.

Mash efficiency shot up a good bit, from ~76% to ~86%!
For the blonde, I was shooting for a ph of 5.35 and measured 5.30 with a super cheap meter. I'd usually end up around 5.60 with a beer this color/gravity.
For the Irish Red, I was aiming for a ph of 5.40 and got 5.25. In the past, 5.40 has been the norm for this color.
Not sure why the Red ph turned out so low.

I measured the lactic acid by weighing on a scale with 0.01g resolution, using a density of 1.209g/ml @ 77*F.
I calibrated (2 point) the ph meter just prior to measuring both samples and got repeatable readings.
The samples were taken 15 min into the mash and measured hours later at room temp, after the brew day was over. Is the wait an issue?

The increase in efficiency has to be water related because I changed nothing else.
Either the lack of mineral content allows extraction better because the water is not full or the ph range is responsible.
Maybe both?

I'll reserve final judgement until I get to sample some brew, but first impressions are that this is a good thing and worth doing.
The taste of the water compared to tap alone was remarkable. It has to have a substantial impact to the flavor of the finished beer.
Only a few weeks until I find out....

Latest posts

Back