1st time Brewer/Poster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MirImage

Reaction score
Hello from Wisconsin!

I thought I'd introduce myself just after I started my 1st Brew. I just bought a kit the other day with my girlfriend and we went with a Bock.

There were a couple problems that came up one being a boil over. I used an extract malt and hops and the problem came because there just looked like there was a "head" in the brew and then all of a sudden it foamed up fast. Does the beer look like this when it boils rather then when plain water boils?

Another problem was not realizing my thermometer's accuracy was horrible while it was too late(only measuring above 100 F). I just let the brew sit a while after I ran the wort with ice and cool water before I added the yeast. Hopefully that will suffice.

Now to get drink beer for bottles :mug: I'll let you know how it goes.

Welcome to the forum! What you described when it foamed up quickly is called the hot break. It's normal, and always should be watched for. A fan over the boilpot or a spray bottle of water works well to prevent boilovers.

I will definitely keep that in mind thanks. I got pretty excited because I saw a fair amount of bubbling when I checked it this morning.

Latest posts

Back