1st Sap Runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoptopia

Reaction score
Have 38 gallons of first run sap from Maple trees, I'm thinking about making a vanilla porter or something with it. Anyone have any experience or thoughts about using this instead of water....

Jealous. I missed it this year.

I'd brew something lighter so the subtly doesn't get lost. Then again, with 38 gallons you could do a few different batches.

Have 38 gallons of first run sap from Maple trees, I'm thinking about making a vanilla porter or something with it. Anyone have any experience or thoughts about using this instead of water....

I have always wanted to try to ferment maple sap in the same way you make a mead. I am not sure what the gravity of the sap is out of the tree but, I am guessing you would need to concentrate it some. Maple sap is primarily sucrose and honey and fruit juice is mostly fructose, so you might have to do some work as far as the yeast goes. A lot of yeast, oxygen, and nutrient.

II am not sure what the gravity of the sap is out of the tree but, I am guessing you would need to concentrate it some.

You'd need to concentrate a lot. Sap is 1.002 I think.

So with 38 gallons at 1.002, you'd need to reduce to 2 gallons to get 1.038.

Back