1st pitch of harvested yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnstr71

Reaction score
Hello, fellow home brewers,

I brewed a blonde ale last weekend, and pitched a yeast that was harvested from a previous batch.
The yeast strain I used was Wyeast 1056. I followed the process of washing it with a boiled and cooled gallon of water, racking the top layer to a 1 gal. carboy, letting that settle, and the transferred to 4 sanitized pint jars. It sat in the fridge for 3 weeks.
A day and 1/2 before brew day, I boiled quart jar of of water and a 1/2 cup of dme, and cooled. pitched the wort with 2 pint jars of yeast into sanitized carboy.I set it on the counter and shook it every time I passed by.
I pitched this into the blonde. I put the fermenter with a blow off tube in the closet. 2 days later the picher that the blow off tube was in was full of wort, BUT I have had no bubbling, or pressure on the plastic lid. I have since put an airlock on fermenter. Still no bubbles!
Do any of you think I should pitch a smack pack, or should I just take gravity readings and cross fingers?

Sounds like a leaky lid to me, and that you had a successful vigorous ferment. Did the wort in the pitcher look like it was krausen, all yeasty and such?

Back