1st mead, 30 gallons, stuck fermentation. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanAm

Reaction score
Hi,

My friend tried mead and loved it. So he got enough fresh farm honey (and carboys etc) to make 30 gallons! Anyway, he told me that it still tasted very sweet after 6 months so I'm guessing a stuck fermentation. He's quite sore about it as I'm sure you could imagine.

I have brewed a lot of beer, but never made mead so not quite sure how to help him. Would Wyeast beer yeast nutrient help?

I'm seeing him tomorrow so I'd like to stop by the homebrew shop and get anything that could move his project along (he lives far from a homebrew shop)

I don't have any other information about how it was made, just that it was pitched and stored at midwest basement room temperature.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Great, thanks. Is beer yeast nutrient the correct type, or is there one specific for mead?

The kind we use for beer is fine.

Traditionally, mead should be "helped along" in thirds. One third of the way through fermentation, and two thirds of the way through fermentation, you should oxygenate and add nutrients.

You're going to pick up a dry wine yeast (as in, one for making a dry wine; doesn't really matter if it's liquid or powder). It won't be picky about ABV or temperature, and it'll take that sucker down as far as it'll go.

You're also going to want some honey, a gallon jug, some yeast nutrient (DAP should be fine), and another carboy. Bring your hydrometer and autosiphon from home, and some starsan, and maybe a scale for weighing out honey.

So, first thing you're gonna do is find some space inside your friend's house for the five or six existing carboys. If midwest cellar temperatures aren't cold enough to send your yeast into hibernation during the summer, they sure as heck will be in January!

Using your autoshipon, starsan, and spare carboy, you're gonna rack the mead off the lees – after six months, as my dearly departed great grandma would say, that yeast is dead, dead, dead. This will work like one of those little square puzzles with one spot missing – you'll rack the first carboy of mead into the new carboy, dump the lees, sanitize, rack the second carboy into the now-empty first carboy, etc.

Now that they're racked, you'll give those carboys about a week to warm up to house temperatures. As a bonus, that near-freezing mead should outgas a bunch of CO2 as it warms up 20 or 30 degrees, purging the carboys of oxygen. And, your friend will not be idle during this week...

...because, he will be keeping an eye on the big ol' yeast starter you mixed in the gallon jug you brought. Make about 3/4 gallon of 1.040 "mead" with the honey and yeast nutrient you brought, pitch your wine yeast, treat as you would any yeast starter. Proper starter technique, and the appropriate amounts of honey and yeast nutrient, should be readily google-able, if you don't already know 'em off the top of your head.

OK, is that first big starter fermented out? Should be after 48 hours, though you can give it 72 if you wanna be doubleplus sure. Now, your friend is gonna make a giant freakin' starter in the last carboy (see? I didn't have you pick up another carboy just to make it easier to rack off the lees...). Two and a half gallons of properly-nutriented 1.040 starter mead should do it, just dump the whole 3/4 gallon starter in there, spent starter mead and all, you've got plenty of room.

Once that starter is done, he's gonna take it down to the cellar to cool crash for a couple days – you'll have almost three gallons of probably-rank, certrainly-weak 1.040 mead in there, you don't wanna dump that all into the batch you're trying to save. After a couple days, he should have a reasonably-compact yeast cake; he can pour off most of (but not all!) the starter mead, until there's only about as much mead as there is yeast, then resuspend the yeast into a slurry, and apportion it evenly into the now-warmed-up carboys of stuck mead.

HomebrewDad says you'll have about 900 billion cells just rarin' to go by this point, if they can't un-stick this ferment, nothing can.

Thank-you feinbera.

For the sake of simplicity, after racking would using two packs of dry wine yeast per carboy work instead of building a starter?

My 2 cents - You need to turn the process on its head if you have a stuck fermentation - adding yeast may do nothing except kill the yeast you added. What you do is make a starter with the yeast - 30 gallons will need about 3 packs of yeast since a pack is usually good for 5 or 6 gallons... Let's say the starter is about 1/2 pint (a cup), then when that is actively fermenting (You might use apple juice as the fermentable - but be sure that there is no sorbate added) you add 1/2 pint from the stuck batch. When that pint is actively fermenting you then add 1 pint from from the stuck batch. When the 2 pints are actively fermenting you then add 2 pints from the stuck batch and you continuing doubling the starter every few hours checking to make sure that the fermentation continues to be active...
But before your friend spends a great deal of time restarting a stuck fermentation he may want to check the pH of his mead... if it is significantly below 3.0 then that may be the cause of the stall. If he never fed nutrients (including B12 and nitrogen) that may be the cause; if the temperature is too low or too high that may be the cause, if he failed to aerate (and so also help remove the CO2 the yeast produce) that may be a contributing cause... and your friend needs to watch what yeast he is now going to use... Not every yeast plays well together...

Just out of curiosity, how much honey did he put into 30 gallons? What kind of yeast? The answers may solve the problem...

I'll get some more details this afternoon and post tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies so far! I really hope to help him get this going again.

Wow.. I have someone who has a 30 gallon wine barrel for sale which I am so so tempted to buy it and start a 30 gallon batch.. As I have a lot of mead going in my basement (about 16 gallons currently fermenting) I don't know if I wanna risk this much honey /time and Money..
Any suggestions?

Back