1st Hydrometer Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonereb

Reaction score
When should the 1st hydrometer reading take place for muscadine wine? Obviously, after initially adding sugar, but should the reading happen before adding Yeast Nutrient and Pectin Enzyme?

And when is the best time to check acidity?

I've seen conflicting recipes, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

Coming from a mead perspective here, but I usually take my OG reading when the must is thoroughly mixed, including the nutrient and pectic enzyme, but before adding the yeast (no reason, just the way I do it). The amount of fluid used for rehydrating yeast is so small as to be insignificant in terms of affecting gravity, really, and I'm not producing commercially, so a ballpark figure of OG and FG is good enough for me, not a concern here...
As far as acidity, and I know it can be a concern when using a lot of honey, I have yet to bother checking. No problems with ferments.....yet ;)

I think you know this, so just to be clear- the FIRST hydrometer (I use a refractometer) reading should be on the crushed grape must so you know what the sugars are.

And check the sugars on the raw, crushed, un-anything-ed must, too.

Then calculate the amount of water you need to cut any extra acidity and any sugar needed to jack up the Brix/OG and melt them together in a pot and them to the must when they cool.

You can add the pectic enzyme and any nutrient at any time in the process. They won't make any difference in gravity or Brix reading once you mix them in.

Back