1st Build!!! Please Give Me Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubV

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum as of today and I have a couple questions about a build I have in mind. I apologize in advanced for making this such a long post...Bare with me here

My goal is to distill spirits that I can later mix in various 'recipes' to make different drinks for when I have cookouts with some buddys or just late nights hanging out. Something I can do in my spare time and enjoy the pride of telling them I made it.

I have poked around here a bit with different mash recipes and I think I'm just going to narrow a couple down and see which ones I like best. I figured I would just use a 6.5 gallon bucket I have and buying a lid with an airlock to ferment.

I would like to distill if possible on a stove top or with a heating element to avoid nosy neighbors but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with a heating element because every time I research what would work best for me all I find are big numbers and different switches and things I really just don't understand. I do understand that you need some sort of device to manipulate the element to cycle significantly quicker than usual and I am extremely comfortable soldering and wiring things, I just cant seem to teach myself the basic knowledge to feel comfortable using an element

I was planning and finding a slim quarter keg and using the coupler idea that many people use to connect a condenser.

The condenser would be similar to this, without the thermometer.

attachment.php

then I could just connect it to my sink or a water pump and have hose run into a cooler or something with cold water and ice.

Some concerns I have with my idea right now are:

-It seems "ghetto" relative to some of the other builds I have seen on here

-Would I be able to cook a slim quarter keg on a stove? I am thinking it would be too much volume for a stove top to cook so maybe I need to use a heat element?

-The condenser idea I have found is really basic compared to some ideas on here, it makes me wonder if it is a sloppy thrown-together idea to sell product on ebay

I am open to any suggestions. I would prefer for it to be conscious of a budget but I don't mind waiting a while to spend more on something if it last longer and is safer.

Please keep in mind that I am new to this and I may not know everything but I am willing to learn!

Thanks!!

FYI, distillation discussion is verboten on this website. Not trying to be a dick, but you need to go elsewhere for feedback on this particular subject.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Okay! Sorry about that. Thanks for letting me know!

Do you guys know of a way to delete the thread so I can save the Admin some trouble?

I really do apologize, I should have known before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back