1st Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luck you don't need as the good folks of HBT are here to assist you with whatever you encounter. So have fun brewing your very first beer.

Oh, and welcome to the obsession!

Thanks guys! As luck or Murphy's Law or whatever would have it a violent thunderstorm is rolling through the area and making the lights flicker. I'm boiling on an electric stovetop and keeping my fingers crossed, hoping the power stays on. Beer Gods please shine on me!

Sorry got wrapped up in the process. Power stayed on! But I broke my hydrometer before I could take an initial reading. Is that gonna be a problem other than not knowing the ABV%?

not really. but you should get a new on so you can check to see that it reaches FG before you bottle. those damn things break all the time. keeping a back up one on hand is a good idea.

I dry hopped two weeks ago and took a gravity reading reading as well as sampled a taste today. It was pretty delicious if I do say so myself!!!! I just finished adding polyclar and will be kegging in the next few days. Patience is getting to be a difficult thing at this point! but i'll try to let it sit for a few weeks in the keg.
Thanks to all the good folks here for making this a great experience so far!

Oh you shouldn't worry yourself about patience. Most new brewers go CRAZY-NUTS in terms of not having patience... I know I did. But you're definitely at an advantage having a kegging system for your first brew!

However, are your dry hops still in there after two weeks? I'd be careful of that as they can add a gree vegetative quality to your beer if you leave them too long. I usually max-out at 7 days and then rack to a keg.

And as far as leaving it in the keg for a few weeks... don't know if that's terribly necessary as (I'm assuming) you're doing an average gravity brew. Average gravity beers take shorter amount of time to condition, i.e., lose that "green beer" taste. I like to rack to keg, get it cold overnight, then hit it with 30psi for 48 hours followed by the calculated psi for proper carbonation (for most styles, usually between 8psi and 12psi.) That will have you drinking delicious draft brew in about a week after racking :mug:

Back