1st brew post Turkey day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 201787

Reaction score
I was encouraged to share in the group about my set-up and consequently my first brewing experience.

Yes, I am a newb to the site and a newb to the art and craft of brewing. I started out with the seed of a thought years ago that finally sprouted (or some might say malted).

A few weeks ago I sought out a brew class at my nearby home brew store and picked up some equipment (general/ basic 5 gallon brew kit). I initially was going to brew a Porter extract kit in a partial boil. I changed my mind on both accounts. I regularly partake in drinking a Moose Drool (brown ale) and returned the kit to the HBS and picked up all the items needed for a extract clone. I also went in on a 8 gallon stock pot and burner.

This last Saturday I went out to the garage while the wife and in-laws were relaxing in the warmth of the house and the 2 rug-rats were down and out for a nap. The longest part was actually getting set up,,, then it's watching a pot boil. It felt like it took forever as a watched pot isn't supposed to boil... but this one sure did... for an hour LOL.

Anyhow, one difficult item the wife and I were facing was just where to put the primary? The temperatures dropped over the weekend and some places I had thought of were either on the cold side or the warm side. It was settled that a closet was the right temp (66 - 67 at all times). I made preparations in case of a blow-off was needed and to-date, all is well.

Later that night we also started a brew of hard cider. This one was a little more volatile and did require a blow-off! I left this one on the kitchen counter tucked back in a corner. It was spitting foam for 2 days when I went back to the original configuration of the airlock. (I took the tubing for racking that came in the brew kit and stuffed it on the center pipe of the 3-piece airlock and stuck that other end in a pitcher of water)

Today before I headed of to work I placed a healthy number of used bottles in a bucket and solution for label removal. This will be a fun feat... :D

It's all the little stuff like label removal/ cleaning/ sanitization that get no glory and take the most staged and staggered duration of time.

It's all the little stuff like label removal/ cleaning/ sanitization that get no glory and take the most staged and staggered duration of time.

Couldn't agree more. Every brew day I'm going through the process, saying to myself, "man this is a lot of fun - what am I brewing next?!" Two weeks pass by and I'm bottling, and all I can think is, "why do I do this? I'm not brewing again for a while." I just thoroughly hate the time and care it takes for moving beer into bottles and cleaning/sanitizing. Ugh.

By the way - I used to spend a lot of time removing labels off bottles, but eventually I decided it was worth it to just spend $10 on a case of unused bottles and save the hours of label peeling. About 60% of my bottles still have labels, so I'm not overly concerned, but those are usually the bottles I give to people when I know I won't get them back. Food for thought.

I am in the same boat, as far as labels are concerned. I have not even attempted to remove labels from bottles of Sam and what not yet. I just bought a bunch of cases. I love bottling day though. It is almost like the victory lap; it helps if you have a good system for it obviously. Also since I started using Starsan, I really see no issue with sanitation either. I get that stuff all over my house, its fun. I'm weird. Shrug.

This morning I spent a little while cleaning off the labels of about 1/2 of the beer bottles I will be using. The other 1/2 are brand spanking new 22oz bottles.
The solution I made up was a few drops of dish soap and a dash or two of baking soda. All it took was the use of an old gift card to scrape off the paper and then a light scrub to knock off the glue. From there I loaded them into the dishwasher on a short wash with a teaspoon on super grunge remover (no soap). I just wanted to get all the commercial grade labelling and glue off the bountiful brown bottles.
I think than I may be getting an early gift this year of a vinator and perhaps if I'm really lucky a bottle tree.

I'm certain that I will purchase more bottles in the future from the HBS. At some point I would like to see about turning an old side-by-side into a fermenter and kegerator. (I already waded thru the fantastic threads on making this monster)
My goal and reason for brewing is for self sufficiency and cheapness. The wife is on-board too! With a 6-er costing about $8, we can make it ourselves, for a small savings, and craft it all to our liking.

soccerdad - If the landlord doesn't notice a closet gone... the next task is to figure out how to cram a closet into a priority mail envelope.
I was surprised that the closet held the temp so well, and in the range I needed!!! I had planned to use the garage, but now that the season is getting colder, the garage would be great for a lager.

Back