1st Brew.. Gumballhead Recipe help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab11

Reaction score
I will be brewing my first batch of beer this next weekend and want to stay simple but also want to make something i will like to drink. so i have decided to go down the road of cloning one of my favorite beers.

I will be doing extract for my first few batches to get the process figured out before i go to all grain.

So does anyone have any user friendly but tasty extract Gumballhead clone recipes.

I will be doing a 5 gal batch in my 15 gal kettle.

thanks for the help.

If no one has a gumballhead recipe.. Then does anyone have a good Amarillo wheat beer recipe they would like to share with me.?

This is based on the Stan Hieronymus book "brewing with wheat". According to the book they use wheat, 2 row and aromatic malt.
So about 6lbs of wheat LME, 3lbs light or gold LME and 1lb of aromatic malt (although I'm not 100% sure steeping aromatic will get what you need). Possibly, instead of the aromatic malt you use something like 1lb of CaraVienne malt.
That is actually what I used when I first made this recipe - it came out great.

Hops are amarillo, warrior & simcoe - not sure what you can get right now. I think the amarillo is the most important but a little piney in the background is good too.

Shoot for about 1.053 OG with 28 IBUs.

Happy brewing.

One more thing, I believe that Three Floyds uses WY1968 for this beer. Ferment it a bit cooler (65F) to help restrain some of the englishy notes as the yeast character isn't real strong.

Thanks for the recipe.. I'll check out what supplies I can get. I still have a week or two till I brew so I'f anyone else has a gumballhead recipe they like feel free to post! Thanks

good to hear, I think this weekend I am going to use some washed Saison yeast with roughly that grain bill, swap belg pils for 2 row and reverse percent of wheat to barley, should be interesting.

I've never had Gumballhead, so this doesn't help much in the terms of getting an exact clone.

That being said, I've made this twice with outstanding results both times, and it's an amarillo based wheat pale ale that is easy to drink.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/gumballhead-inspired-wpa-92976/

If you are doing extract with steeping grains, put an extra pound of wheat DME in there (or at least a half pound of DME).

The thing that makes it hard to clone in extract is they use red wheat. Red wheat is not used to make wheat extract.

Back