1st batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerclone

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch today. It's a pale ale. Tasted decent when I checked gravity so I am hopeful. A question, when you add priming sugar do you mix it in or let the transfer of wort naturally mix it in? I let the wort mix in the sugar and I'm a bit concerned there will be uneven carbonation. Any thoughts?

The way a class at the HMS showed me seems to work, though I've worried that it wouldn't be consistently mixed too - I boil the sugar, cool it down, put it in my bottling bucket, then siphon the beer from fermentor to bottling bucket. I aim the siphon at the biggest puddle of sugar to mix it as much as possible without aerating the beer, not sure how much that matters. All my bottles have had consistent carbing so far.

Thanks. I also didn't cool the sugar down, it that going to create issues? I think I have been pretty patient so far but now I really want to drink one of those pale ales! Doubtful I will be able to wait 2-3 weeks before sampling : )

I usually on bottling day start off boiling my water sugar mix then stick it in the fridge. Then I clean my bucket and all my bottles that's usually enough time to get my sugar water temp down to about 70. I syphon the beer into my bottling bucket then pour the mix in when there is about a gallon of beer in the bucket. After I gently stir the bucket then bottle.

The heat will shock the yeast, maybe kill some. Hopefully there is enough yeast in a 5-gal batch that it doesn't make too much difference, especially just for the bottle.

I never cool the sugar and I've never had a problem. I typically don't stir the sugar in either and my bottles are always nicely carbonated.

I guess I will find out soon enough how my technique worked. Thanks for the input.

I also do not cool my priming solution. A couple of cups of the wort will cool it and the rest has plenty of yeast that will not have been shocked. I start my siphon with the tube at the side of the bucket so that it swirls. After there is about 1 inch in the bucket I add the sugar as carefully as I can to avoid splashing. (some splashing is inevitable and has not made any difference that I can detect.) I have stirred carefully and forgotten to stir. I have had some slight difference in carbonation per bottle, but in both stirred and un-stirred batches.

I also do not cool my priming solution. A couple of cups of the wort will cool it and the rest has plenty of yeast that will not have been shocked. I start my siphon with the tube at the side of the bucket so that it swirls. After there is about 1 inch in the bucket I add the sugar as carefully as I can to avoid splashing. (some splashing is inevitable and has not made any difference that I can detect.) I have stirred carefully and forgotten to stir. I have had some slight difference in carbonation per bottle, but in both stirred and un-stirred batches.

^this! No need to chill it, just add it as the beer starts running in. IME, when bottling this way you're always going to have a slight variation in carbonation from bottle to bottle, but nothing drastic.

Tasted my pale ale last nite. It looks good and tasted pretty good. My only complaint was it needs more carbonation. It's been in the bottle 2 weeks so I will wait another week and try again.

image-3759191023.jpg

I believe it was about 3/4 cup of dextrose. I bottled at room temp or about 72 and let em sit at the same temp for 2 weeks. Refrigerated overnight before sampling.

Tried my pale ale again last nite. I just couldn't wait a full week! The carbonation was much better and I think it still has a good taste. I'm going to give a few away this week so hopefully I will receive some constructive criticism ; )

Latest posts

Back