1st batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clancey123

Reaction score
Brewing a extract/grain form NB Irish red ale. 12 days in primary 2 weeks in secondary, 8 days in bottles at 68 degrees. Opened one today made a pssst sound but had no head yet or any real carbonation. Tasted alright going to give it another week and try another one see if the carbonation improves. From what I have read the lack of carbonation at this point isn't a big deal. I originally thought I would let the first batch finish before I did another but since the carboy was clean I thought why not! Received the kit in the mail three days ago (Nut brown ale) and it's now 2 days into primary. Figured I would stick with ales for now maybe a wheat in april so it would be ready for the summer. :mug:

Forgot my question. Would I get better carbonation if i had left in primary a little longer and skipped secondary? There was a lot of sediment (dormant or dead yeast cells?) left in primary and in the secondary. Thanks for any info.

Nope, depending on temp, alcohol levels, sugar levels, and yeast levels, carb'ing can take 2+ weeks, even months. Just pour it higher over the glass! It almost always "gets there" with time.:tank:

I did a irsh red ale from nb and i left it in the primary for 3 weeks and the botteled. It sat for 3 weeks all at 70-73deg and opened one last sunday it had lots of carb. And a nice head with a great taste. After reading some forms on here and comments on nb most said not to mess with the secondary. Just my 2 cents though.

steeda89 said:
I did a irsh red ale from nb and i left it in the primary for 3 weeks and the botteled. It sat for 3 weeks all at 70-73deg and opened one last sunday it had lots of carb. And a nice head with a great taste. After reading some forms on here and comments on nb most said not to mess with the secondary. Just my 2 cents though.

Thanks.

Back