1st batch brewed, Dead Ringer Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipabrewer25

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer yesterday and am now going back over what i did and questioning if i messed up or how my beer will turn out.
I brewed a Northern Brewer Dead Ringer IPA Extract kit. I started by using all of their recomendations including making a yeast starter (650ml + Wyeast smack pack+ Light DME, using a stir plate for around 12-14 hours, pitched entire contents).
I strayed from their recipe slightly and this is where i'm questioning.
I have a 10 gallon kettle, so i started with 5 gallons of water (exactly 5) instead of the recommended partial boil and went thru the process adding exact amount of hops listed for partial boil.

When complete (before pitching yeast), it was close to 5 gallons in the fermenter and i topped off using less than 1/3 gallon water.

The OG reading was 1.070 @ 75 degress F. Recommended is 1.064.

Its about 18 hours since the fermenter has been sealed and the airlock is going crazy. I had to add some water/starsan to it.

Just trying to get some opinions of what i should have done different or if all of this is exceptable.

Any thoughts on if the beer will be higher ABV or higher IBU since the full boil.

It looks good to me, My buddy brewed this kit in the past and it very good. You will enjoy it.

Back