1st attpt GF Pumpkin recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxmickey

Colin Craft Brewing
Reaction score
Hello All,

Managed to put this recipe together. Never brewed a GF beer before, let alone a pumpkin one. Would you guys please help me refine it before I brew it next month? for my buddy's wife that has celiac, so no gluten at all.

Thanks in advance!

5.5G

Prep:
Roast 1lb 3oz malted white quinoa 45' @ 350deg
Waft in paper bag 1 week

Mash:
104-140-160 30' cycles

Boil 60'- adds:
6lbs sorghum syrup 60'
2.25oz east kent goldings 60'

64oz pumpkin puree' 30'

1tsp Irish moss 10'
1tsp yeast nutrient 10'
1.25oz pumpkin pie spice 10'

8oz malto-dextrine 5'

1.5lb honey 0'

wlp500 Belgian Ale

2 weeks primary
4 months condition
force carb/cold crash

Cheers!

may even pre-roast the pumpkin at 350 for 45' with a light coat of honey before adding to boil.

A recipe that I have for a "GF Pumpkin Dubbel" recommends using buckwheat.

I've never made it, but I can send it over if you'd like to take a look for some ideas.

It's a PDF file, so shoot me a PM with your email address if you want it, and I can send it over ASAP. There are 3 other GF beer recipes that I can send, as well.

Email sent - be sure to read the descriptions before the recipes...they contain some helpful information. :mug:

My experience with sorghum extract, I did not like E.K.Goldings for late additions. I don't think it paired well with the citrus tendencies of the sorghum. I have had good success with Columbus and Magnum for bittering hops, and I ended up with Amarillo and Cascade for late additions. Something to consider for other recipes that have late additions.

For honey, I would consider 100% buckwheat honey. Heath food stores usually carry it. It is more expensive but great for a brewing sugar.

Did you malt the quinoa yourself?

ok. Thanks for the hops and honey idea! I buy it sprouted already. I don't have the time to do that part of the process.

Back