1st A.G. -- Am. Wheat w/honey -- a couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goplayoutside

Reaction score
Planning my first all grain brew. It will be a 3 gal batch. There will be 1 lb of wheat malt and 3 lbs of barley malts, and 1lb of honey. I will do a single step infusion mash.

Question 1: Do I need rice hulls to prevent a stuck mash with the wheat? With it being only 25% I was thinking probably fine without.

Question 2: When do I add the honey? It is just in there to lighten the mouthfeel and dry the beer out a bit, I was planning on adding it at the start the boil.

I have done some partial mash brews but never A.G., never with wheat malt, and never with honey so I appreciate any help from you more experienced folks out there.

1. It won't hurt to add a little rice hulls, you will probably be fine, but why chance it.

2. I would add the honey at flameout to help keep some flavor and aroma intact. You could even add the honey at high krausen.

Thanks for the advice. I am basically following the "counter top partial mash" method (published 2006 in BYO). And even though technically there should be no problem mashing the wheat I decided against it due to potential for a stuck storage and/or conversion concerns. I will just use some wheat LME and stick with the barley for this one, so I guess it will be "mostly grain" and not truly A.G., I will leave dealing with the wheat in the mash for a future batch.

As for the honey, I am thinking of adding it 15 min before flame out as a compromise. I will be more comfortable regarding infection risk that way, and the honey flavor is not really a goal in this beer just the "crispness."

I am also departing trying the wyeast kolsch yeast as opposed to my usual Nottingham. Does anyone know if this yeast is easy to work with or if it has a steep learning curve? I think I can hold the temp during the ferment between 60 and 65 degrees, how does this yeast do in that range?

Thanks in advance for the input, gentlemen!

Well nobody seems interested in this thread anymore. I think I will stick with the Nottingham this time around. Maybe try another yeast with the same recipe in a future batch.

I have personally never used the Kolsch yeast but I would say that it would work in that temp range. As long as you can hold it, I would say hold it in the mid to upper 60's. Possibly somewhere around 66-67 would be best. If possible try and split the batch and do half and half, thats the beauty of homebrewing. Also, don't have to worry too much about the honey and contamination issues, the high sugar content helps prevent contamination.

Thanks for the advice. I am basically following the "counter top partial mash" method (published 2006 in BYO). And even though technically there should be no problem mashing the wheat I decided against it due to potential for a stuck storage and/or conversion concerns. I will just use some wheat LME and stick with the barley for this one, so I guess it will be "mostly grain" and not truly A.G., I will leave dealing with the wheat in the mash for a future batch.

Isn't that a BIAB technique? If so there is zero issue with stuck mash. I've never run into conversion problems with wheat, though only ever used Great western white.

Latest posts

Back