1st 2nd Aging & conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogtailale

Reaction score
This ? is mainly for ales because of temps. I keep reading ( I stored it in the closet for X )

1st = 1st fermentation most often done in the plastic pale. @ 68dg ish with airlock

2nd = 2nd fermentation most often done in the carboy. @ 68dg ish with airlock

Could someone please fill in the blanks ( refrigerated , airlock, bottled or keged roomtemp, )
How are they done?
Are A & C the same?

Aging =

Conditioning =

Every beer is a bit different. Yeasts are different as well and that's why I can't go with 68F. I usually ferment 64-66F and finish it off near 70F.

1. I've never used a plastic pail.
2. I've only used a carboy once to do a secondary and then never bothered with it again as I was taught by a stubborn old school brewer.

Aging is again dependent on beer. Since I keg my beer is usually in the keg @ week 3 end and starts dry hopping or tasting at that point. Some beers are ready @ 3 weeks and others take 6 weeks or more before being ready.

You are getting "secondary fermentation" and a secondary confused for one thing.

Secondary fermentation is a misnomer, since no fermentaion SHOULD happen in the secondary. The secondary is to clear your beer, though many of us no longer use a secondary, but instead opt for the long primary, leaving our beers in primary to clear up, and feel that our beer is much better for it.

If you want to read more about the various ideas about secondary and no secondary and the beliefs about WHEN one should secondary, Read this and the accompanying links in the article, and then you can make up your own mind as to what to do.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/multiple-questions-about-secondary-fermentation-140978/#post1601829

And this is where some of the latest info is on the subject

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

My suggestion is to try different ways and decide what works for you.

Nowadays, I use my "secondary vessel" to make apfelwein, or smaller batches of beer.

Back