18y/o brewer from the Netherlands!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Thijs, I'm from the Netherlands and i study 'master beer brewer' in Rotterdam.
I run a brewery together with my father, we brew 500 liter (132 gallons) batches in our craft brewery located in the northern part of the Netherlands. I also have a youtube channel, on which i just uploaded my first video. The channel name is 'the brewing dutchman' if you'd like to check it out.
In 1 year i will officially be the youngest master brewer in the world. Pretty neat if you ask me. My mash is almost finished so i gotta get going, cheers!

[QUOTE="The Brewing Dutchman, post: 8477502, member: 261993"Hello,
My name is Thijs, I'm from the Netherlands and i study 'master beer brewer' in Rotterdam.
[/QUOTE]

I'm just curious if they teach anything about HSA (hot side aeration) in your brewing classes?

[QUOTE="The Brewing Dutchman, post: 8477502, member: 261993"Hello,

I'm just curious if they teach anything about HSA (hot side aeration) in your brewing classes?[/QUOTE]

Hi Bilsch,

They have not teached us about HSA yet! I will ask my teachers to put together a presentation about this topic. In my youtube video 'brewing a large batch of imperial stout' you can see i aerate the wort just after boiling, by letting it splash in the filter. We found this to be the most effective and simple way of aerating wort.

Thijs,

Thank you for your reply.

More than likely there is a difference in terminology used here vs there so just for reference.. HSA is any oxygen that is introduced to the mash via what is dissolved in, and comes along with the strike water. Also what diffuses into the liquor during the mash, during the ramp to boil and especially during transferring of the wort; pouring, spraying etc. HSA generally does not refer the O2 you intentionally put into the wort for yeast health added after cooling from the boil.

I am very curious as to what your teachers have to say on the subject. Avoiding oxygen on the hot side seems to be something that more European brewers are attuned to then North American.

Thanks,
Bilsch

Hoi Nederlander! Hoe gaat het?

I just returned from a year of living in Haarlem in August. Also have family living in Rotterdam, Utrecht, and Tiel--my wife's cousin owns "We Love Homemade" and "Bar Support." Have you heard of them?

Where is your brewery located?

Last edited:
Hoi Nederlander! Hoe gaat het?

I just returned from a year of living in Haarlem in August. Also have family living in Rotterdam, Utrecht, and Tiel--my wife's cousin owns "We Love Homemade" and "Bar Support." Have you heard of them?

Where is your brewery located?

hoi!

I'm not familiar with those breweries but i'll look it up!
Our brewery is located in Vlagtwedde, Groningen. It's called Brouwerij Westerwolde

hoi!

I'm not familiar with those breweries but i'll look it up!
Our brewery is located in Vlagtwedde, Groningen. It's called Brouwerij Westerwolde
Nice! I looked your company up on Google Images. Great setup. Never made it to Groningen, unfortunately.

We Love Homemade is an artisanal cocktail company, and Barsupport is a traveling bar. No beer brewers in the family but me :p

I saw a bottle of your Tripel Zwarte Bes: Blackberry Tripel?? Haven't heard of that before. Sounds like you guys are cooking up some interesting concoctions up there!

Back