1728 & Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
I brewed a wee heavy over the weekend, measured OG at 1.088, pitched and locked the wort in my basement. The average temperature down there is 60 degrees, which is at the bottom of the range for 1728. It started bubbling within 24 hours, and has had consistent bubbling, but the Krausen is only about two inches tall. With that much sugar, I would have expected much more violent activity. My question, then: should I bring it upstairs so it can warm up more, or let it chug along slow and steady?

I would not bring it up at all. This yeast produces quite a bit of diacetyl once it gets above 65 F or so, and for the Scottish ales you definitely want to keep that low so that the malty sweet component shines alone. I use this strain regularly, and keep it below 62 F every time. I think as long as you're above 55-56 F, you're going to be fine, but it is a slower ferment due to those low temps.

Also keep in mind that ambient temp is usually a bit cooler than fermentation temp since the process is exothermic, so it's probable that the beer temp is higher than 60 by a few degrees.

1728 is also (in)famous for a remarkable krausen in that it tends to be very unremarkable. Some people who are watching for krausen as evidence of fermentation often get worried about the lack thereof when using 1728. I'd say two inches of krausen is a fairly spectacular showing for that strain. You are fine.

Thanks a lot. This is my biggest beer, to date, and I'm pretty excited about its potential. I inquired today about getting an oak barrel to secondary in.

I've been using 1728 for my last couple beers and I always see a good amount of krausen from it. I haven't had a problem with it fermenting at around 60. Although I had it fall to 58 and there was not much activity.

Latest posts

Back