14 days and Notty is refusing to clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
I have 5gal PM version of BM's centennial blonde in the fermenter. It's been fermenting with notty for 14 days @ 60*F. Gravity has not changed since day 5 - 1.012. The beer is still pretty hazy, I can just make out the numbers on the hydrometer. I'm wondering if its typical for notty to stay in suspension for so long?

nah thats really normal IME. a lot of people will probably chime in that 14 days isn't long enough, but it usually is for me. especially for a hydrometer sample. how much grain did you mash in your PM, and did you do BIAB? sometimes a lot of flour grain stuff gets in during BIAB, but it should settle.

maybe try some gelatin or something

It was about 50/50 grain and extract. I used whirlfloc in the boil, chilled to 58*F, gave it 45mins for the break to settle and then racked to my fermenter. It was crystal clear while racking.

My last PM brew (wlp007) was very clear using that same 50/50 ratio, but this was my first time using Notty so I wasn't sure if hazy brew is normal at 2 weeks.

Can you raise your temp to 70? 60 seems fairly low.

I can, but I thought that 60 was well within Notty's range:confused:

Now that fermentation is finished I suppose a warmer temp will not influence the flavor of the beer. How does raising the temp get the yeast to drop out? I always assumed yeast all out on falling temps?

Did you dry hop by any chance? Dry hopping can cause hop haze.

Are you in a rush?

If kegging just fine w/ gelatin, if you are bottling just bottle up and let carb, it should settle out in the bottle after 2 weeks.

I would recommend the opposite. Get the temperature down to about 35 for a couple of days. It should floc out.

dry hopping will indeed add a haze.

notty usually drops really clear, weird that it's hanging around for you.

since you're stable at 1.012, why not cold-crash? stick the brew in a fridge if you can. otherwise, take a big bucket/tub/etc, put ice and cold water in it, then drop your fermentation vessel into that. another option is to stick it outside (as long as the temps remain above ~27*F, bring it inside if it's going to be below that for any amount of time - check the hourly forecast).

Did you dry hop by any chance? Dry hopping can cause hop haze.

No I didn't dry hop. I thought about it but decided against it

I would recommend the opposite. Get the temperature down to about 35 for a couple of days. It should floc out.

I think that I'll try the cold crash. Thanks for your suggestion

dry hopping will indeed add a haze.

notty usually drops really clear, weird that it's hanging around for you.

since you're stable at 1.012, why not cold-crash? stick the brew in a fridge if you can. otherwise, take a big bucket/tub/etc, put ice and cold water in it, then drop your fermentation vessel into that. another option is to stick it outside (as long as the temps remain above ~27*F, bring it inside if it's going to be below that for any amount of time - check the hourly forecast).

Our outdoor temps have been all over the place. I think that I'll go with your 1st suggestion and put my FV into an Igloo Cube and pack it with ice. You think 5 days is too much? Hopefully it'll clear up by the time I bottle.

Thanks for your help guys :mug:

I would raise the temp on your fermentation to 70F and see if you can't get 2 or 3 more points out if your FG. I couldn't find a specific attenuation % for Nottingham but the datasheet says it should finish at 1.008. 1.012 doesn't sound finished to me and 60F is at the low end for Nottingham. Raise your temp for a week and see if you drop anymore and then cold crash. You don't want to make bombs.

I would raise the temp on your fermentation to 70F and see if you can't get 2 or 3 more points out if your FG. I couldn't find a specific attenuation % for Nottingham but the datasheet says it should finish at 1.008. 1.012 doesn't sound finished to me and 60F is at the low end for Nottingham. Raise your temp for a week and see if you drop anymore and then cold crash. You don't want to make bombs.

it's certainly safer to raise temps for a few days in case there is anything left in there. on the other hand, 1.012 isn't that far off. mash a little higher, use some DME, etc and you won't hit the *predicted* FG.

but i would raise the brew to 70*F and make sure nothing is left in there. it won't cause any off-flavors at this point. i'm assuming you'll be hitting 70 during bottle conditioning, you don't want residual sugars being consumed then (priming sugars + residuals could lead to bombs).

it's certainly safer to raise temps for a few days in case there is anything left in there. on the other hand, 1.012 isn't that far off. mash a little higher, use some DME, etc and you won't hit the *predicted* FG.

but i would raise the brew to 70*F and make sure nothing is left in there. it won't cause any off-flavors at this point. i'm assuming you'll be hitting 70 during bottle conditioning, you don't want residual sugars being consumed then (priming sugars + residuals could lead to bombs).

I did mash pretty low 151*F and used a pilsen dme, but on the other hand there was 0.5# C10 + 0.5# carapils in there too. I am figuring that at this point I am somewhere between 74-75% attenuation, which isn't out of this world but also isn't completely terrible. I'll warm it up for a week to see if I can squeeze another point or 2 out of it.

I just moved the FV to a warmer area. Hopefully that'll work for me. Thanks for your help :mug:

Back